Author Topic: Heat treating  (Read 2007 times)

Offline Lee Lobbestael

Heat treating
« on: April 24, 2010, 11:26:44 am »
How do you heat treat a the belly of a bow? Also what are the benefits of doing it?

Offline Kegan

Re: Heat treating
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 06:54:20 pm »
You put the semi-tillered bow on a form, or use a string to pull it into reflex, and then either slowly use a heat gun to darken the limbs (holding it 3-6" away) so the entire limb is heated through, or hold it upside down over a hot plate/bed of coals.

It increases the compression strength of the belly, making it easier to hold reflex or lower mass. If done properly it can, without even inducing reflex, increase performance about 6 fps. It is like a sinew backing only more reliable and less expensive ;)

Offline denny

• my site
Re: Heat treating
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 12:35:39 pm »
I did it with a space heater once and it was a little quicker and more uniform. I have a video that a fellow shows using bear grease on the limb and doing over an open fire. He says when he hears the fat start to sizzle it is time to move down the limb. Never tried that , however I did use crisco and it kept the out side ring from being destroyed in the process. I don't know if this is standard proceedure, but it worked for me . Denny