Author Topic: Stickbender  (Read 3521 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Stickbender
« on: April 26, 2010, 07:32:36 pm »
  I had a visit yesterday from Wayne (stickbender). Poor man put his life in great danger yesterday, driving 5 hours both ways in violent thunder storms and tornado's so DanaM would have a piece of bamboo for a quiver.While he was here we did a little chipping. Wayne was embarassed to show his points so I'll do it for him.

The first three pictures are of Wayne and his points, I thought they were pretty darn good, the two pictures are a couple of points I banged out to hunt with ,Coastal Plains and Ryolite. The next six are some points that Claude Van Order made for Wayne.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Stickbender
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 07:33:47 pm »
and the rest. Oh, yea, you left your bopper and file and gloves here.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

brian melton

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 07:41:05 pm »
Nice ;D

Offline stickbender

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 09:55:42 pm »

Dang, it's bad enough you put my points on here, but you took my picture also!  :o  I look like Elmer Fudd, making a Wabbit point! ;D  Yeah, Dana, I am expecting great things from that bamboo!  I looked in my garage, and found a piece that I had forgotten to take over to Eddies.  Hey Der, Dana ya see what I hadda go through ta get dat piece o boo to Eddie, so he could give it ta ya at the Classic?  But I did get beer, and ribs, and iced tea, and some knapping tips.  Thanks again Eddie, and Tell Cathy, I said thanks for the Tea, that she went out of her way to make for me.  And thanks for the kind words, for my points.  I think I can make some a little better now, that you showed me what I was doing wrong.  Oh, as for the finessing on the arrowhead, I may have been a little heavy handed at first, but I was still trying to abrade enough. ::)  But as for the "finessing" Bit with my Girlfriend, that area, I can still  do pretty well. ;) ;D  Of course it still costs me a Sushi Dinner...... ::)

Wayne

Offline stickbender

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 01:39:10 am »

Well, as you will recall, we were trying to get everything packed, and out of the rain.  I guess, I will have to make a another road trip when you get back from the Classic. ;)
I will bring beer this time. ::)

Wayne

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 07:29:30 am »
First off I appreciate da effort Wayne, didn't expect you to risk your life for a piece of bamboo :o
Then on top it all ya had to put up with ol eddie ;) On the bright side you got to see Cathy :)
And I'm thinkin that the beer and ribs were probably pretty darn good also :) Nothing wrong with dem
points Mr Fudd ;) :D I'll give eddie something to bring back for ya eh, so now you have a reason to go visit Eddie and Cathy again :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 07:58:57 am »
why the hell would ya hide those points from us? they are great!!
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline StevenT

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 01:32:20 pm »
Hell ya, nice points. And you know the old saying "God made a few perfect heads, the rest he put hair on."

Offline brownhillboy

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 02:08:07 pm »
Nice work!  I wouldn't hide those points either!  Sounds like you guys had a good time.
south central VA

Offline stickbender

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 02:38:49 pm »

Thanks for the kind comments, I appreciate it.  I just don't think they are what I was trying for, and wasn't too proud of them.  They are capable of doing the job, but not exactly display quality.  Dana, you don't owe me anything.  I am sorry, I didn't get the other piece of bamboo in my truck.  I don't know how I missed it.  But I did. :(  But you should be able to make something noteworthy out of the piece I brought you.  It is fairly thin sides, and pretty light.  Not like some of the older growth stuff.  I had some that was pretty thick.  I hope to be able to do some better points, after Eddie showed me some of my mistakes, and how to correct them.  I hope to make some knife blades.  If I can keep from breaking them.  Thanks again for the compliments.  I think next time, I will be a little more ready for Eddie and his wandering candid camera shots.  ;)  Yeah, some of my hair turned grey, and the rest turned loose ! ;D Yeah, I had a great time, and of course it is always nice to see Cathy.  But those ribs, and beer and tea was a nice addition to the knapping lessons also.  I am surprised the flash didn't rebound off of my shiny little head.  I will wear my cap next time. ;)  And Dana it wasn't my life I risked to get that boo to you, it was the lives of the other drivers, in the rain, that were in danger.  Eddie gave me a couple tastes of his spring water, and his Brazilian spring water!   :o
Again thanks guys, I appreciate it, and Eddie thank you and Cathy again also.  Be sure to take your camera with you to the classic, and take some candid camera shots of ol Dana and the thawed out Yooper, from Texas......El D that is, and some shots around the spring water...... ;D  Have fun everyone, and enjoy, and I hope you have some nice dry weather, and no ticks....... :P

Wayne

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 03:12:52 pm »
Wayne, nothing at all wrong with those points. And your head ain't no slicker than most of the rest of us. Hell, pry that hat off Eddie and look under there. ;D Eddie coulda at least fed you some of the good beer that he keeps hidden instead of that old yaller-can "beer for company" that he keeps in the fridge. ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 04:57:53 pm »
There are nothing wrong with those points and if anyone did find something wrong we will kidnap them and shoot them in the but with those points hafted to an arrow... :o  Its good to see friends getting together to practice an ancient art.  I dont know about dragging my wife 5 hours in bad weather she might kill me!  ;)

Thanks for sharing!!!

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline stickbender

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 12:54:40 am »

Thanks Hillbilly, and Russ, the long obsidian, I do not consider finished, but Eddie insisted it was.  It is not even on the sides, and not balanced to my notion, but it is sharp, and will do the job, but I would have liked to even out the sides, but that six foot five, dark haired, muscled bound Ninja, said to leave it alone, so I did.  Well, I don't mind the Yeller can beer, it was free, and I didn't even think to stop and bring a couple of six packs, and I feel bad about that, I don't know why I didn't , but I just arrived with the bamboo for Dana, and my knapping tools, and I forgot another piece of boo in my garage I had got for Dana originally, and forgot to put that in my truck, for the trip, through gauntlet of death, on the way to Eddies, and then on the way back, I didn't even think of it, of course, I was dodging tornadoes, and cows, and didn't even notice it till the next morning when I went into the garage.  I don't turn down free beer, even bush.  My neighbor drinks that, and when he offers me a cold one, I will accept it.  I usually buy him a case or two, for feeding my cats when I am away, in Montana, or at a convention.
Actually, I drink Miller Lite.  I like it, and I like the Canadian beers, like Moose head, LaBatts, Grizzly, etc., Also St. Pauli Girl, Dos Eques, or however it is spelled, Tecate.  And Free ones.  Especially, Free Cold ones! ;D  But the ribs, and iced tea, and beer, were just fine.  Plus, as much as a task master as he was, I think I actually learned something from Eddie, which is saying something for Eddie.  Speaking of obsidian, I had some on the floor board, in the back seat area, awhile ago and they clanged to gether, and knocked off some little flakes.  So I cleaned them out of the carpet.  Well tonight, on the way home from my Brother's house, while driving, I reached behind me trying to see if I had a plastic shopping bag to put my trash in, for the truck, and promptly jammed one of those little flakes, that I missed, through the side of my .....uh....middle finger.  Then I had to wrap it in a napkin, till I could pull over, and get my band aides out to wrap it around the slice.  That Obsidian, just doesn't care how much you praise it, it will still take the first opportunity to cut you!

Wayne

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 02:24:14 am »
Wow I almost did the.same I was knapping near a pair of shoes and a flake must have flew in them.  The next day I ran out the house with them shoes on and I fealt something cut my toe sure enough sliced my big toe open on a mohagony obsidion flake.  As far as beer I make my own and got quite good st it.  Free is always good but I like killians new castle Stella Guinness extra stout smithwicks and boddingtons....I like too many to list.  Have a good day guys!

Russ
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2010, 09:29:03 am »
Nothing wrong with those points,look like the real Mcoy to me.I need to get up and see Eddie too when he gets back,who knows we might run into each other
Bone pile
Venice Florida