Author Topic: Saran wrap?  (Read 2711 times)

Offline KShip85

Saran wrap?
« on: April 24, 2010, 07:00:14 pm »
Has anyone ever tried Saran wrap for keeping the moisture in a stave?  I cut some elm and peeled the bark today and this stuff is soaking wet.  I tried spraying and brushing lacquer on it and it was too wet for that.  I wrapped two of the smaller ones and plan on doing the rest tonight.  I figure it's worth a shot and should keep the moisture in there.  Thanks for looking!

Kip
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Saran wrap?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 07:08:17 pm »
Brush on some elmers glue. Saran wrap might cause you to mold and that is the last thing you want.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 07:40:53 pm »
elm is pretty tough I wouldn't worry about checkink while drying, if you feel you must seal it give it a day or two to dry then seal it with shellac
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline KShip85

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 08:28:57 pm »
Thanks for the help guys!

Kip
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline TRACY

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 02:40:20 am »
Yeah the humidity is a little high today. Put the elmers or spar on the ends and back. Reapply if needed. Let us know how the saran works out

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 02:44:23 am »
I've used saran with good results.  The mold is definitely a possibility, which is why I would unwrap my stave for a few hours every day, then re-wrap it to even out the moisture content again to prevent checking.  Might not work on all woods though!
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Timo

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 09:57:46 am »
Curious as to why you would want to keep moisture in the stave? ???

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 10:01:09 am »
If the stave is too wet to seal, give it a few hours to dry(surface) and then seal it.  By holding the moisture in with saran wrap you could be giving fungi a foot in the door. Not a good idea.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Timo

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 10:46:24 am »
If the stave is too wet to seal, give it a few hours to dry(surface) and then seal it.

I agree. I have cut osage in the summer,peeled the bark, let it dry a couple hours,then sealed it with shellac,(3 coats). Never had a problem with them checking. ;)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 11:46:50 am »
Sealing a white-wood is not a good idea
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 12:28:22 pm »
What kinda elm ,Is it slippery elm which is white, or red elm which looks red- brown ?  The latter is the bow wood you want. However it is not a good idea to use the wrap,it will cause it to mold or you will get some nasty black rout spots up and down and they go deep. Don.t worry about the moisture, parafin wax the ends and let dry for 24 hours and put cheap white glue on the outside of stave . The worst thing you could do is trap the moisture in it . good luck  Denny