Author Topic: war/long bow  (Read 2226 times)

Offline 65x55 swedis

war/long bow
« on: April 18, 2010, 08:04:34 am »
hey guy i have almost finished a english long bow. it is 61 in and is made of hickory board that i cut up. i was wondering if tempering the back to take the set out? it has about 2 inch of set and is drawing at 50#@25 i have most of the rough till done and i think the lower limb (one with tape) is a tade to weak and i need to take a little off the top still but not much. any tell me what you guys think. horn nock by the way. if you want any other pics just let me know. i hope to get a full draw pick tomarrow

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 02:39:51 pm by 65x55 swedis »

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: war/long bow
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 03:29:19 pm »
It's hard to tell what's going on without a picture with the bow being drawn at least partially. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline 65x55 swedis

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 12:09:54 am »
here is a full draw pic

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 11:03:02 am »
From the brace height on the floor, I would say the limb aft the tape needs some material removed. As for the set, this is common with such a short elb. However if you heat , straighten and back with a pcs of linen,you might reduce the set. In order to remove set on such a short bow, One needs to incorporate reflex or build a gull and reverse taper the limbs in the beginning. About 3 inches will do. Then I would back to insure the bow had some help . This is normal for english longbows of medeviel time However it has been said there is nothing wrong with a little string follow. If you want a selfbow of this length, I would finish tiiling and let it go at that. By the way it looks pretty good so far. By the way I am swedish are you? Denny

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 01:12:28 pm »
We'lll look at this fine weapon again next week for Self Bow of the Month fun.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday