Main Discussion Area > Bows

first R/d bow how does this tiller look?

(1/9) > >>

Jesse:
First one. I need a little advice on this tiller. The bow is boo backed ipe it is r/d style it pulls 55 lbs. @ 27 ".  It shoots very fast. I am going to put a finish on it soon if the tiller doesnt need to change. What should I use? I have water based spar urathane. Will that work good? Any input welcome   

330bull:
Well I'm a novice too but here's what I see:

Tiller is even, so that's a good start.  However it also looks like the only the first half of the limb is working.  More specifically it looks like the only part of the limb working is the first half as it leave the handle section.  It appears that you need to have most of the limb bending up until ~6-8" to each tip.

I'm afraid that if you do not improve the tiller, that part of the limb which is working the most, will eventually fail or weaken.  However I also just noticed this is a r/d design, so maybe that's all you want to bend anyway.  If that's really a r/d design, then it is probably already bending near the ends pretty well.

Just my two cents.  It's always so much easier for someone else to critique, so please don't take it personally.  Like I said, I'm a novice at best.  Good Luck!

Joe

Gordon:
I would need to see the unbraced profile before I could render an opinon.

Badger:
Ditto, what Gordon says but generally i would say that tiller is good for an r/d bow, I like my tips stiff anyway. Steve

Minuteman:
I'd finish it with something not water based.Regular spar urethane is great but any polyurethane will due as long as the finish itself suits you. Satin or glossy . I'm making my first reflexed tip bow so I'm looking for info on tiller as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version