Author Topic: After Heating Tips, How long?  (Read 2754 times)

Offline bigcountry

After Heating Tips, How long?
« on: May 04, 2010, 01:28:28 pm »
I straightened out an osage with heat gun and oil by moving the tips.

How long would wait to go back to tillering?  I have had it to a low brace (before straighting) of 3".  Tillered on the long string to make sure no hinges or major flat spots.  Would you start immediately or give the wood time to soak up moisture?
Westminster, MD

Offline adb

Re: After Heating Tips, How long?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 01:32:05 pm »
With a heat gun and oil, you should be good to go almost right away. If I boil or steam, I usually wait a day or two. Even then, it doesn't take long for the wood to return to it's stable moisture content. With things like rawhide or especially sinew, you need to wait days or weeks for the moisture to drop back.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 02:50:23 pm »
I usually wait about a day or even less. Jawge
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 04:54:39 pm by George Tsoukalas »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 02:59:50 pm »
By the time you've read this post, the stave is as ready as it was before you heated it.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 03:18:44 pm »
I usually wait an hour or two to cool before I take it off the form, then I wait a day to re-hydrate... probably a little long but better safe than sorry I think.  Also if i am heat treating the belly--i.e. scorching/toasting the belly--then I wait a week until I start tillering again.   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 07:15:08 pm »
Many thanks guys. 

I found a good way to move my tips side to side.  Before when i did it, the limb would want to bow out instead of moving the tips.  But I did what Pat B said and made an L-shapped form and clamped down the tip, hung a weight in the handle and let the wood tell me when it was ready to move.  All this time clamping the back to the wood making sure it didn't twist or bow out.
Westminster, MD

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 07:27:55 pm »
When I do any heat straightening I wait over night before stressing it. Even if the outside feels cool the inside can still be warm and the wood may bend if stressed.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 01:14:08 pm »
Let it rehydrate at least overnight. I learned my lesson on this the hard way by breaking a really nice osage bow.  I flipped the tips and strung it about an hour later. It popped at about half-draw. I've gotten away with it too in the past, but I'll never take that chance again after runing one of the straightest, cleanest osage staves I've ever worked.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Jmilbrandt

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 12:13:06 am »
I have only had a couple break on me from not waiting but it's not a good feeling wasting all that time and effort. I would just wait a day.
SW Utah