Author Topic: Pop! Cracking Hickory Self Flat Bow  (Read 4875 times)

NJWoodsman

Pop! Cracking Hickory Self Flat Bow
« on: April 20, 2010, 04:45:45 pm »
I'm on my second attempt at a self bow from a Hickory stave using the osage flatbow design in the Traditional Bowyer's Bible. I glued on a piece of osage as a handle, though. The staves came from a 6" diameter piece of Vermont hickory I cut, split, and aged. My first attempt, after rough tillering, blew up just past the fade-outs as I was putting a string on it.

The second time, 1 1/2 yrs later,  I was more patient, and had it bending 10-12" and 40# before stringing it. I got a few test shots out of it, then heard a crack near the handle. I worked on the tiller a little more, but heard a few more cracks along the way. I think a crack is slightly visible, like the other bow,  at the fade out. I think the defect is, there's some character bumps and twist, and it's cracking where it's kind of thin, even though there's not an obvious hinge.

Is it even possible to fix, or is it only a brief matter of time before it blows up like the other one? I know, a picture would help!

Offline Gordon

Re: Pop! Cracking Hickory Self Flat Bow
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 04:58:18 pm »
I can't say for sure if it can be fixed without seeing the defect, but I can say this for sure - it's just a matter of time before it breaks...
Gordon

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 05:13:16 pm »
Please post pics!  I have never had a hickory bow break although I have had them bend badly.  ;D  Without seeing it I would have to say it is a defect in the wood.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline aruge

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 06:40:07 pm »
If you only had it bending 12 inches before you shot it, you may be rushing the bow. You've got to tiller it to your draw length before you shoot it or you are asking for trouble. Just my humble opinion. Al

Offline yazoo

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 07:36:53 pm »
only hickory I have seen that broke was too dry,, and thats hard to do,,  40 pound at 12 in  thats 100 at 28    ,, if you want a say 50 pound bow , and say you hit that at 12 in,,you never pull it any futher till you remove wood,work the limbs recheck poundage,,next time maybe 50 pound at 15in,,,keep working and checking till you get 50 at 28in  mike
if you can shoot over them , they ain't to far

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 09:08:33 pm »
You may be able to wrap that. Show us a picture. It does sound like you rushed it. There are buildalongs on my site. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 09:14:55 pm by George Tsoukalas »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

NJWoodsman

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 11:58:52 am »
Here's the tiller on the limb. The stave had some humps and a little twist.

[attachment deleted by admin]

NJWoodsman

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 12:00:38 pm »
Here's where it's cracking. I think it's just beginning to show on the right, by the handle

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 12:10:26 pm »
Looks like most of your bend is right at the fades.  The whole limb from 1/3 past fades out is very flat. I would work on that area and get it bending to take some stress off of the fade.  Then it may be possible to wrap the cracked area with a good sinew wrap to keep it from going any farther.

Tell
Tell Riley

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 09:26:36 pm »
Sure you can do sinew wrap on that. Set it in hide glue. After it dries, you decorate it with some B50 set in glue or some rabbit fur, etc. Then you can put the twine wrap on the other limb in the same area.  Did you glue on a handle, NJ ? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

jessepeltan

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 09:48:00 pm »
Your fadeouts are too steep.  I think this is what caused the crack.  To prevent further damage you have to extend the length of the fadeouts and use longer fadeouts on the next bow.