Author Topic: Any idea what sub species this is?  (Read 1561 times)

Offline KShip85

Any idea what sub species this is?
« on: April 21, 2010, 01:53:07 am »
Well, was out looking for more wood today.  I cut two more ERC branch pieces that look promising, one more than the other.  Also think I have discovered I am surrounded by rock elm.  I know it's elm and the bark leaves and seeds matched best with rock elm in my field guide.  Not looking forward to splitting that if I cut it, but it's a nice size tree with a LOT of bows in it.  The last one I cut is a small white oak, just not sure which sub spieces it is.  I am leaning towards chinkapin or swamp chestnut but am not positive.  I think I might be a little out of the natural range for swamp chestnut, but there is also a wild American Holly at my parents place half a mile from where I got this that should not be here according to the maps.  I'm excited about this as I have not worked with white oak but read it is near unbreakable and look forward to trying to push this one when it's time comes.  Thanks for the help all.

Kip

Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Any idea what sub species this is?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 03:14:59 pm »
It looks a lot like Quercus michauxii, one of the swamp chestnut oaks.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 05:28:52 pm »
Looks like it could be either swamp chestnut oak--Quercus michauxii, or chinkapin oak. Chinkapin oak tends to have a shorter trunk and a dark small nut. The swamp chestnut can get very large and has a large acorn, and also should split pretty easily. I'm guessing what you have is chinkapin. Was it growing in a low wet area or on upland? Either one should make a durable bow.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline KShip85

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 06:34:07 pm »
It was growing on a hillside about 150 or 200 feet from a creek.  Ground seems well drained but stays pretty moist and does not dry out too much over the year.  Not sure what the acorns look like as they were not out on it yet.  I've got it debarked and sealed but will probably not split it as it came from a small diameter tree.  Might cut off some of the excess and do a test on specific gravity.  Thanks for the help guys.

Kip
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN