Author Topic: Moved,,, And searching  (Read 5092 times)

Offline bowstring

Moved,,, And searching
« on: April 20, 2010, 06:26:30 pm »
    We moved to S.Fla a month ago, and having a hard time finding any "StickBow Shooters" locally. Is anyone out there?? Getting kinda desparate, as the
 Trad Guys at the local range keep hinting that a nice, new space age Recurve and Carbon Sooper Arrows is the way to go,,,  Me, I'd rather shoot my Hickory
 stick and cedar shafts, but have found myself looking at,, Stuff,, in the catalogs. Help!!! ( Hope this does'nt sound like a "rant", to each his or her own, I say.)
 Still, I am tempted,,,,,  So, if there be a "stick shooter out there, please respond! "bowstring"
"We are, what we do, when it counts"

Offline sailordad

Re: Moved,,, And searching
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 07:02:49 pm »
bowstring        DO NOT,i repeat, DO NOT give into them.
if you do,next thing uou know someone else will tell ya you need wheels on a bow for it to be any good
stick with your stick,but cant beleive in the humidity down there you choose hickory  :-\
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline bowstring

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 10:23:56 pm »
   Sailordad,
Thanks for the response! As to shooting a Hickory Bow in this thick air,, no problems yet,,, I've shot it for most of a day and only took on about 1 1/2 inch of set which disappeared overnight. Lucky, I guess! I'm having more trouble with breaking Cedar shafts though. Different target materials, and lots of Coral in the soil for my misses,, It sure would be nice to find another "Stickman" before I get called to the Darkside. This "peer pressure" kinda takes some of the fun out of goin to the range!!  "bowstring" :D

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 10:44:53 pm »
  Where are you at? There's a bunch of us in Florida.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 11:22:21 pm »
Sounds like you need some cane arrows.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 11:47:50 pm »
 Ahhh, I see you are in Davie. You have Coowachobee for a neighbor and stickbender is north of you in Port St. Lucie. I'm in Lakeland, Parnel is in Ft. Meyers, Swampbow is in Ft. Meyers, Bone Pile is in Venice,JCPC is in Plant City and there is more to the north of me.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 10:27:14 am »
cane arrows deffinitly the way to go. out of the half dozen i made up from the tonkey mullet gave me i have only broken two, and thats cuz i hit them with another arrow. awsome stuff.  ;D

and yeah they got cavemen all over florida. you should be able to find one close to you pretty easy.
lets just shoot it

Offline smokeu

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 11:23:39 am »
yep try one little FG bow.... maybe a carbon arrow, next thing you know you'll be carrying a 10speed through the woods....
Longview, TEXAS

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 12:12:19 pm »
yep try one little FG bow.... maybe a carbon arrow, next thing you know you'll be carrying a 10speed through the woods....

LOL  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline bowstring

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 01:52:57 pm »
   Hey, Thanks for all the replies! A fine example of the kind of people that make up Primitive Archery. Funds are limited so travel is kida dicey right now, but hey, the sun still shines, so there is hope!! As to the Tonkin cane, a friend back home is going to send me a handful, hopefully I can make them up before the Cedar runs out,,, ;D ( I brought 2 dozen down with me, so not real worried about runnin out. ) Sailordad asked about shooting a Hickory Bow in this humidity, as I haven't found any work yet, any suggestions on bow wood? I'm afraid it will have to be something from "The Store" , so I'm guessing maybe Redoak? (Been scrapin on a Ausie Pine limb,but it may not work out,, Great compression, kinda low on tension. Lack of a hotbox to control moisture does'nt help,, :D ) Anyway thanks again guys! "bowstring"

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 02:06:36 pm »
I have made a bunch of red oak bows and as long as you choose a board with really straight grain, it will make a great bow.   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Parnell

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 02:14:07 pm »
Don't give up on the Australian Pine.  The one I've made is really impressing me with it's shooting.  I've heard of some shooting tournaments on Big Cypress Res. and have been told that there are guys shooting with stickbows, but I haven't found out where to see the calender and haven't been myself, so, second hand information.  We'll have to try to get a time planned for the Florida crew to meet up some weekend and see where it goes.  Feel free to drop me a note anytime.

Parnell
1’—>1’

Offline bowstring

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 06:52:57 pm »
    Parnell,  a Fla get together sounds good! As for the Big Cypress,, had'nt heard of anything there,, would be interested in anything you find out! As to the "Bois De Fur", I'm not giving up! I plan to "cook it" in the truck for a few days to help with the MC. Its to the floor tiller stage, actually, very close to final tillering, so hopefully the extra heat will help the final stage,,
   Josh, thanks for the Red Oak tip,, have made one before that turned out to be a fair shooter, though it took about 1 1/2 inch of permanant set. Went with a pyramid design, so I'm guessing a more flat bow design would work better in this humidity. What do you think? Oh, one other question,, are there any types of cane or bamboo growing locally?
                                                              Thanks, Guys ! "bowstring"

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2010, 10:28:48 am »
not possitive but there should be river cane all over the place down there. im in louisiana and its everywhere here, and makes awsome arrows.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2010, 10:39:13 am »
 No river cane down here, but plenty of good bamboo.
Lakeland, Florida