Author Topic: My brand new bow is broken :(  (Read 9514 times)

vtclimber

Re: My brand new bow is broken :(
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2010, 02:18:08 am »
Glue Line....listen to the guys above....they know there stuff...I learned a few hard lessons (still learning em lol). Should be easy enough to fix, but I think the bowyer would likely make it right. If he won't and you want to salvage it ther are plenty of folks here that can offer some great advice. I'd prolly pop it the rest of the way off (CAREFULLY) then clean everything up and reglue it. Gonna have to deal with any bend though or you will be right back where ya started..

Offline Knocker

• Tumwater, Washington
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2010, 03:11:52 am »
Could you post a photo of the entire bow?  I'd like to see the rest of it...

Keith
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from
us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down
and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set
lightly upon you, and may posterity forget ...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2010, 06:52:58 am »
If you don't want to send it back,I would clean it up and re glue,then rap with thread,that might hold,that's why I don't like glue on handles,I have had that trouble before. :) If you don't send it back,bring it with you and maybe get some advice. :)

Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2010, 09:41:44 am »
It is a problem the bowyer should make good. The bow is flexing in the handle area and this will cause the overlay to pop off unless the overlay flexes also. Obviously it doesn't.   Contact the bowyer and ask him.
I am with Pat on this.. But if you dont want to send it back then Like Pappy mentioned bring it to the classic with you.. I think The problem that caused it to come loose is that the overlay is to long! Allowing it to get into the working area of the fade.. If it was shorter I dont think it would be a problem.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 02:20:46 pm by knightd »

Offline dmassphoto

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2010, 10:34:05 am »
Could you post a photo of the entire bow?  I'd like to see the rest of it...

Keith

Here's one pic, and a few others of the entire front.

I definately want to keep shooting it, and I'm not sure what you mean by fade Knightd.  The bottom does seem like it's pretty long compared to the top of the overlay.   :-\

Offline Aries

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2010, 11:33:02 am »
That's the problem. :(  The bowyer is from NY and I'm in TN.  Also, I wanted to shoot this bow at the TN Classic, and not sure if he'd be able to get it back in time, not to mention it would cost $60 alone for shipping back and forth, something I don't want him or myself to pay.  I dunno, am I better off sending it back and going bowless for the Classic, or should I find someone around here that could fix it?
thats pretty steep for shipping, you should try usps-parcel post.  I shipped two 6ft bow staves bundled together from OK to NC for right round 15 bucks. And as for the bow, im sure your bowyer would want to address the problem himself, especially if its a new bow. it really shouldnt be to hard of a fix. Ty
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Cacatch

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2010, 12:53:18 pm »
KnightD is exactly right - the overlay is too long and should not be in the working area. If you want to send it back and think the bowyer will make it right with no hassles, send it back. If not, do like he said and take it to the classic with you. You can bet that someone there can and would be more than happy to fix it for you the same day. Don't sweat it, it's totally fixable.

CP

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
    • The Kilted Cook Personal Chef
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2010, 05:13:58 pm »
Aries is right about shipping too!  $60 is 'way too expensive unless it was wrapped in real gold foil and send overnight express instead of rolled in bubble wrap and cardboard and sent Parcel Post.
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,
The Kilted Cook Personal Chef Service

Offline dmassphoto

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2010, 05:15:49 pm »
Aries is right about shipping too!  $60 is 'way too expensive unless it was wrapped in real gold foil and send overnight express instead of rolled in bubble wrap and cardboard and sent Parcel Post.

Well, I was factoring in shipping both ways.  It cost $27 to ship here, so that's what I'm going on.

I just put some super glue in the crack and now I've got some clamps on it, hopefully this will fix it, although I can see signs that the top may be breaking off as well.  :-\

Cacatch

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2010, 05:29:27 pm »
Just get it to the Classic and watch your troubles fade away. Anyone who makes bows could fix it. You either need to shorten the lenght of the overlay on the back (the one that is popping off) or rebuild the overlay on the belly where you put your hand to beef it up and make the handle area less bendy. Or both. If you get it to the Classis someone most likely can and would be happy to help you fix it while you are there...and maybe even have you shooting it by the time you leave!  ;)

Offline Gordon

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2010, 07:12:25 pm »
Oh, I see the problem now - the problem is with an overlay on the back of the bow not the belly. That should be fixable.
Gordon

Offline Diligence

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2010, 10:51:45 pm »
Just a thought, and keep in mind that I am only beginnering (yes, that is a word) bowyering (so is that), but couldn't you just pop off the wooden overlay and glue on a shaped leather handle the same dimensions?

The leather would flex and presumably, the overlay on the back isn't doing anything to the tiller except that it popped off, so maybe it really is?.

j
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2010, 11:22:47 pm »
I would not be afraid to pop it off and shoot it with out it..  ;)

Offline dmassphoto

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2010, 11:42:18 pm »
I would not be afraid to pop it off and shoot it with out it..  ;)

I was wondering the same thing.  I'm definately bringing it to the Classic, but it's been 2 days and I'm itching to get in the back yard and shoot some.  It's funny, because I had just found a comfortable form to shoot, and this happens, lol.

Offline dmassphoto

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2010, 11:59:22 pm »
I was also going to ask one more thing.  Is it normal for a R/D bow to have the limbs seperate, and not one continuous piece of wood from tip to tip?  I'm thinking if I tried to shoot without the overlay, it might come apart on me?