Author Topic: My brand new bow is broken :(  (Read 9508 times)

Offline dmassphoto

My brand new bow is broken :(
« on: April 20, 2010, 06:23:42 pm »
I had my first trad bow made for me a few weeks ago, and got it on the 5th of April.  Since then I've put a few hundred arrows through it and it's a beautiful thing to shoot.  I was just pulling it back and heard a snap and I about had a heart attack.  It looks like thebottom of the front has either snapped apart or come unglued or something.  Can you guys take a look at it and see if it's repairable?  Should I contact the bowyer and see what he thinks?  Ugh, I really can't afford another bow, adn this thing is a dream to shoot. :(

Pic I took a couple weeks ago, the break is at the bottom.

Here's where the split/break is.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: My brand new bow is broken :(
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 06:37:24 pm »
That's just gone at the glue line by the look of it.
I would expect the bowyer would like the chance to put it right himself.
I would guess, he'd take that section of the handle off, re-glue it and maybe bind it with thread soaked in glue.
Well anyhow that's what I'd do.
Let the bowyer see it before you do anything...
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline dmassphoto

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 06:56:25 pm »
That's the problem. :(  The bowyer is from NY and I'm in TN.  Also, I wanted to shoot this bow at the TN Classic, and not sure if he'd be able to get it back in time, not to mention it would cost $60 alone for shipping back and forth, something I don't want him or myself to pay.  I dunno, am I better off sending it back and going bowless for the Classic, or should I find someone around here that could fix it?

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 07:06:49 pm »
yup failed glue line

if i was you,and im not.
but i would save my money,atleast for now,go to the classic and make a bow while your there
there are going to be alot of folks to help you get a shooter,may even be able to get it shooting while your there.
that all depends on how much time you would be dedicating to working on it while there
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline yazoo

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 07:31:19 pm »
yes I would contact the bowyer,,and you should not have  to pay any shipping,,  what day are you comming to classic ? we can make you a bow anytime,,,I will be there on mon,,I also have some finished bows shoot them all you want,,I need someone to test them anyway,,
if you can shoot over them , they ain't to far

Offline dmassphoto

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 07:42:40 pm »
yes I would contact the bowyer,,and you should not have  to pay any shipping,,  what day are you comming to classic ? we can make you a bow anytime,,,I will be there on mon,,I also have some finished bows shoot them all you want,,I need someone to test them anyway,,

Thank you very much for the offer.  I'm coming in from Knoxville, so I think I'll be there on Thursday around lunch time.  I'm coming to the Classic expressly to learn how to make my own bow and the experience of being around so many archers.  Plus I heard there might be good music after dark :)  This is just my first real bow, and I'd hate for it to be ruined because it shoots so well.  About paying for shipping, the only problem with that is I only paid $200 for it, so I don't want this guy to be out any money because he did give me a good deal and a good-faith effort.  I'm wondering if the recent humidity (so much rain here today) caused this?  As long as I know it IS repairable, I'm fine, I'll just be missing shooting for the next few days.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 08:12:59 pm »
see looky there
got yourself a heck of an offer already
great guy to get help from,and one who realy knows his osage too

i dont think it was humidity related,glue line failed
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 08:24:44 pm »
Looks as it is just a overlay on the back of the bow.. Appears to me that it was flexing a bit to much into the handle allowing it to pop.. It kind of looks like a thin glass backing with that overlay glued over it.????

Offline dmassphoto

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 08:31:10 pm »
Looks as it is just a overlay on the back of the bow.. Appears to me that it was flexing a bit to much into the handle allowing it to pop.. It kind of looks like a thin glass backing with that overlay glued over it.????

You're right.  There is a thin glass backing.  Would I be right in sanding that down just a bit, then trying to reglue with superglue or something?

Offline DanaM

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 08:35:42 pm »
Personally I would want my money back, simple as that and that is why I won't sell a bow because shit happens
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 09:26:36 pm »
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 10:04:28 pm »
see looky there
got yourself a heck of an offer already
great guy to get help from,and one who realy knows his osage too

i dont think it was humidity related,glue line failed

I'm going to break a bow or two and see who I can get to help me make new ones!!  This is a great idea!! ;D ;D ;D

Just kidding.  That does stink about your bow, but like you've heard, I imagine the bowyer would appriciate the chance to fix it.  And I'm sure there'll be folks around to help get one or several shooting. 

Offline Gordon

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 10:06:32 pm »
The area under the handle overlay looks too thin. That's a design flaw - I don't know how you can fix that after the fact.
Gordon

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 11:18:32 pm »
I think David nailed it-it's bending into the handle area enough to pop the glue line, a pretty common problem. You could probably re-gleue it and wrap it with thread or rawhide.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 11:23:41 pm »
It is a problem the bowyer should make good. The bow is flexing in the handle area and this will cause the overlay to pop off unless the overlay flexes also. Obviously it doesn't.   Contact the bowyer and ask him.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC