Author Topic: Maple and Ash Pug Shelving  (Read 5471 times)

Offline Dane

Maple and Ash Pug Shelving
« on: April 19, 2010, 07:02:58 pm »
Here is my latest non-archery project. At the risk of being classified with spoon, thimble, and commemorative plate collectors, we have this...well, collection of little pug figures. Those of you who know me know Davenport the Pug is an important part of our lives. She is in two of the shots, and along with pugs often comes this strange desire to collect pug related art and stuff.

Well, the figures, which should have numbered maybe 10, took over, so I designed and built a shelving unit. The sides are ambrosian maple, the shelves are white ash, the dowling and is cherry, and the top is Argentine osage. I used primarily hand tools to make this, and there are no metal fasteners. I'm getting better with a mortising chisel and mallet, and that was my go-to tool for the jointry.

The finish is Tru Oil.

These kind of projects are great to continue justifying dissapearing into the shop. I've got more furniture projects my wife has lined up for me, but they are a nice break from the usual deadly weapons stuff.

Dane

[attachment deleted by admin]
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline DanaM

Re: Maple and Ash Pug Shelving
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 08:30:00 pm »
Beautiful work Dane but I can't help but notice that Davenport is unimpressed :o ::) :P
Dang dogs just don't appreciate quality furniture eh ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 09:39:40 pm »
hmmmmm. it would appear as though someone in your home has a thing for pugs.  ;D

nice work man i wish i could do stuff like that.
lets just shoot it

Offline Dane

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 11:24:27 am »
Thanks, Dana. I see what you mean, she seems blase about it. Food always impresses Davenport, though.

Thanks, Recurve. Practice and willingness to make mistakes is all it takes, just like making bows and arrows and anything else. I guess we do have a thing for pugs.

Of course, now most of you know I'm a weirdo. :) That may be a mirror, though, so be careful.

Dane

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 12:03:39 pm »
Very nice work. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 02:46:50 pm »
Looks good, Dane. It would also work good to hold your graven images of Chulthu, re-animation apparatus, wax cylinder recordings of Migo voices, and spare copies of the Necronomicon. ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Dane

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 08:10:19 pm »
How did you find out I raided the Miskatonic U library and stole...wait, I've said too much.

I believe I have the only known copy of the banned edition by Olius Wormus...thankfully, that high school Latin comes in handy yet. I also have Unaussprechlichen Kulten, the English edition by Reader's Digest, and prize it. Book of Eibon rounds out my terrible books. Feel free to borrow them anytime, at your peril.

For that, and all my other evil relics, I am constructing a new shelf, made of ebony with the Elder Sign engraved in silver. Such relics deserve the best. I'll post it when I built it, or I perish in some swamp or graveyard around midnight, of course. Being a follower of the Great Old Ones is difficult. No one seems to understand me in my town. Cultists, they mutter, and eye me.

Seriously, thanks Hillbilly. Yug Shuggoth!

Dane

Offline Dane

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 08:10:45 pm »
Very nice work. :)
   Pappy

Thanks, Pappy!

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 11:31:05 pm »
Those Reader's Digest condensed terrible books are absolutely pure unadulterated ee-villl. Even one of the decadent Whateleys wouldn't dare crack open one of those. Some things are just too dangerous to mess with. And that creature sitting in the floor looks suspiciously like Brown Jenkin after a bit too much midnight feeding. ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

vtclimber

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 11:42:52 am »
Looks good Dane. THere is not a piece of wooden furniture in my house that I did not build. I have always enjoyed that aspect of woodworking. And props on the no metal fasteners!! No need for em! Hell, any well built piece of furniture built traditionally will long outlast those darn screws, etc...

Offline Dane

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 01:26:13 pm »
Hillbilly, he may well be Brown Jenkins (he does like burrowing into the chests of his screaming victims and eating his way out the back), but I like to think of him as one of the thousand young the Dark Goat of the Woods spawned to plague us lowly humans. Many cigars were passed out in the waiting room on that happy day by a proud papa. Who or what Pappa was I don’t want to ponder.

Or, maybe it’s just a cousin of the Mi-Go. He does tricks, though, and is fun to have around. :)

Thanks, VT. I’m enjoying making furniture more and more. I have a small end table I’m building from live edge mesquite, and this weekend I’m starting a deck table from ash to replace the broken down one out there now. Slowly, the store bought stuff is being replaced. Then, the wife wants me to build a pine shaker style cabinet for my cook book collection, since it is way to unruly for a baker’s rack.

Dane

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 11:21:24 pm »
Very nice work Dane.   That weirdo comment hits close to home. ;D
Traverse City, MI

Offline Dane

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 11:40:18 am »
Thanks, Rick.