Author Topic: Remember your first time?  (Read 8434 times)

Offline Diligence

Remember your first time?
« on: April 18, 2010, 02:18:07 pm »
..no, not THAT first time, but the first time that you went out with people of like mind (trad guys) and had a rip roaring great time?  I did that yesterday up here in Calgary.  One of the local clubs put on a 2 day 3D trad shoot.  There were 30 targets in total, with a great layout. 

I just had to post because I am excited!  WHOOHOO....it was a blast.  Today (Sunday is day two), but my kitchen pass expired Saturday night at midnight :'(  I had never done a 3D shoot before.  It was great shooting thru the bush and grass.  Managed to make it around twice and only lost one arrow, but I broke 3 (one against a wooden backstop at about 30 yards, and the other 2 shooting at an alligator in the dirt).  All sorts of 3D targets, elk thru alligator, with one 3D stump thrown in for good measure....lol.

First round I shot with a very nice fellow (who also makes self and board bows) his 12 girl and 7 year old boy, and their family friend (who had a person who had never shot a bow before with him)....although I spent A LOT of time finding those kid arrows in the underbrush, it was very relaxing and I had my ear talked off by those kids!

Afternoon round I actually headed out by myself.  I found it was kind of a tough crowd to crack into, but I caught up to and joined up with 4 guys who decided that at each target, the first guy got to decide how he wanted to shoot it.  Double the distance, half the distance, shooting from a crouch, whatever --- we giggled like school girls.  Such a great group of people, and I learned about another local Friday night trad shoot.....and to toot my own horn a bit, was told by one old-timer, "...you do really well with that stick"

On Friday night at 9 or 10, I realized that I didn't have a quiver, so I quickly made one up in the Plains' style.  Just folded over a piece of leather, tied it up with thongs and mounted a busted shaft for a stiffener - and it worked great.

Funny thing is, out of about 65 shooters, I think my self-bow was one of maybe 9 or 10 that showed up.  The rest were all longbows (laminated) or recurve (laminated), and I'm pretty sure that my arrows were the only self-nocks, and sinew wrapped fletching.

All in all, it was a good feeling to hang around with like minded people.  Now I just have to find the time to do it some more.

Things I learned:
- I'm not as bad of a shot as I thought I was
- wear sunscreen
- make a bunch more bamboo arrows (they are dang near indestructible)
- ditch the grey goose feathers (can you say needle in a haystack?)
- ditch the raw wood color shafts (see above)
- buy florescent fletches (done)
- do it all again

Sorry to talk your ear off, I'm just really excited by the whole thing.

J
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Remember your first time?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 02:36:57 pm »
My first time was in a little Texas Panhandle Town called Alanreed, Texas....I was told by a Guy that I had shot 3-D Tournaments with for Years for Bowtech...that ...."there were a bunch of Good Ole Boys in Alanreed that made their own Bows...just like You do...You need to go down and meet them".....So I found out what Their Shooting Schedule was ...and went down to see what it was all about...the Ole Boy that put on the Shoot...was a Long-Haired Toothless Ole Cuss...and the rest of the Club looked about the Same....reminded Me of some movie like Deliverance.. ;D...I paid my entry fee...and got partnered up...and proceeded to Shoot this Course that meandered through the Pecan...Burr Oak and Plum Thickets down in the deep Canyons of the Ranch....As We shot...We talked about Our Equipment....and everyone of the Members of this Club has built all of their own gear...they Hunt and shoot nothing but Stick Bows...most are Osage...some were Hackberry....all were Primitive...with Cane...or Salt Cedar Arrows...and Turkey Fletches....and were they ever good shots...made Me want to go Home and practice more to play with the Big Dogs here... :-[....I have never seen a 3-D Layout like this one in my Life (until last year at Pappy's Place)...He has everything from Prairie Dogs to T-Rex out there...and the Target Placements were just so real....well except for ole T-Rex.... :P...I spent more than 6 Hours on the two Courses there...and was sunburned to a crisp...but it was one of the most peaceful and calming days that I have ever spent in the Wilds...with these People...they are a whole Different Cut of Man....and Woman..... ;D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 07:50:15 pm »
I'm hopefully going to a 3D shoot next weekend.  Hopefully there will be at least 1 other selfbow there, but I won't hold my breath!  Man I wish I could go to the Classic.
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline aero86

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 08:16:24 pm »
never had my first time
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 08:50:08 pm »
Yup it was about 1975 and her name was Sue... Oh dang yer talking about 3D shoots then in that case 2 years ago at Pappy's ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline aero86

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 10:06:26 pm »
and i hope that you guys realize that i AM talking about archery shoots... 
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Barrage

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 10:39:30 pm »
Ah, you got me so jealous now...  >:(  I was really hoping to make it out one of the days but it didn't work out at all this weekend.  I did manage to get out to the range though today with the family so that was good.

Anyway, sounds like you had an awesome time.
Travis

Offline Diligence

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 11:20:07 pm »
It was great Travis.  I'll tell you all about it this week.  Too bad you couldn't make it out.  It was really fun.

j
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline Barrage

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 11:42:31 pm »
I'll be all ears.  ;D  Any other shoots coming up that you heard of?

I can't really complain though.  I did manage to take out the team late this afternoon for a couple hours...  :)

[attachment deleted by admin]
Travis

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 08:39:04 am »
Nothing like the first time. ;) ;D ;D O 3 d shoots,I shot my first in 77/78,somewhere around there,we use to do a lot of them and with a bunch of good friends they are great,some like the competition but I just like the fellowship. I got hooked after my first and have never looked back after 30
something years. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Stoker

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 11:33:45 am »
Really happy you had a good time.I've been going to that shoot for 12 years always had a good time even in the rain and snow.
it's a good course and real relaxed "rules".. ::) We did have great weather..Hope they don't lose the land like they say might happen.
Rich yuppies walking their $1500.00 wannabe dogs..price of progress. Calgary archers have a few trad shoots through the year.
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline dmassphoto

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 12:20:12 pm »
I went to my first 3-d shoot over the weekend in Crossville, TN with a group called the Ye Olde Fartes :)  Not being much of a hunter, I was slightly intimidated at first, not knowing what I might find amongst a bunch of Olde Fartes, lol, but I hooked up with a few people who were as friendly as could be and I had a blast!  I plan on going back again, more for the friendly atmosphere than anything :) 

Offline DanaM

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 12:23:43 pm »
dmass their cool folks, they come to Pappy's shoot
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 01:58:25 pm »
Yep....Me and Ronnie (Cracker) shot the Practice Course with them last Year...Man they can Shoot...I got whooped by a Woman as a result of that day of Practice....... ;D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 02:23:48 pm »
Yep....Me and Ronnie (Cracker) shot the Practice Course with them last Year...Man they can Shoot...I got whooped by a Woman as a result of that day of Practice....... ;D

The one with the cute pink bow Mike? LOL

Manistique, MI