Author Topic: how many leg sinews?  (Read 1853 times)

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

how many leg sinews?
« on: April 16, 2010, 05:37:44 pm »
So im getting ready to sinew back a couple of bows and I really cant recall how many leg sinews I used on my other bows. I remember using about 4 for a 55 inch bow. The bows im backing are 55 inches and they will be elk leg sinew about 8 inch long. I just needed an estimate on how many to process for each bow. Its been some time since I sinewed a bow and the last one I did I used cow and moose sinew. As I recall cow sinew is extremely fiberous I couldnt believe how much fiber I took from it, it was exellent. Anyway any imput is appreciated.
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: how many leg sinews?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 05:43:20 pm »
Cesar...it all depends on how many Layers you are planning on laying down...I would process 5-6 for each Bow...and this should be enough for two full Layers...and a 1/2 crowning Layer down the Center to give it a more rounded look...and more strength...JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 08:28:51 pm »
Thanks destructo. Yea i was hoping for only two layers thats how many I put on the other one. I dont like goig much thicker than that I dont think it addss that much more performance. But i would like to know how many layers do composite bow maker put in their bows?

thanks again Destructo
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 12:25:49 am »
to me it depends on the  type of bow,also how far have you broke the sinew fibers down to..that plays into layers also

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 11:23:36 am »
If you read this thread it will give you an idea of how many leg tendons you need and also an efficient method of using them

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,18701.msg261116.html#new
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 05:38:27 pm »
I usually go down very thin when I split them. Thanks Marc ill take a look.
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY