Author Topic: Ring chasing on hackberry  (Read 3632 times)

Offline kiltedcelt

Ring chasing on hackberry
« on: April 13, 2010, 09:02:03 pm »
Well, I'm finally getting around to doing something with some hackberry I cut about a year ago. The thing is, when I cut it the bark didn't come off very well and I ended up getting some digs in the first ring under the bark. So, I'm ring chasing - but, this is the first time I've actually even worked on a stave. All my bows to this point have been board bows and backed bows. I've never had a reason to chase a ring until now. Anyway, here's a photo.

On the left in red, I've marked above a ring - early wood I guess. On the right I've marked below that same ring. Should I remove all the wood down to the surface of the first really fat late wood ring?

Offline sonny

Re: Ring chasing on hackberry
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 09:25:41 pm »
yep.
once you get to the early growth you'll be able to feel and hear the difference as you're scraping.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline billy

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 10:28:00 pm »
HEy Kilt,

I've never worked hackberry but I've heard it makes a good bow and is very flexible.  Judging from the pics, that stave doesn't appear to have rings that are very porous.  What I would do is carefully scrape down below that thin, dark ring and get into the latewood of the lighter ring just below it.  It looks like you're right on track.  Let us know how it turns out!
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Jmilbrandt

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 11:49:26 pm »
What sonny said you need to take off that top ring and get down to the thicker one below. You will be able to tell the difference in the good late wood and porous earlywood. It feels and sounds entirely different as you cut and scrape it, its kinda crunchy feeling.
SW Utah

Offline Kent D.

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 03:58:04 pm »
Could you have not used the cambium for your backing?   Ive yet to chase a ring on hackberry.

Offline tombo

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 06:45:18 pm »
If you get a chance, cut some hackberry now. The bark will peel right off (Spring time).
If you cut it late summer, the bark is like iron.   Tom

Offline kiltedcelt

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 03:07:43 am »
Could you have not used the cambium for your backing?   Ive yet to chase a ring on hackberry.

Kent, I would have used the cambium but the bark didn't come off easy at all so there were lots of digs and gouges in it where the bark was more stubborn and had to be taken off with a drawknife. Anyway, taking that first stave down to a ring was good practice for taking on some osage I'll be working with later. It wasn't too hard at all. I've got another couple hackberry staves to go over taking them down to a solid ring. It'll be good practice. I mostly used my spokeshave to take them down and then finally scraped off the early wood ring using a cabinet scraper. It worked pretty well.

Offline Kent D.

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 05:37:20 pm »
I see.  I cut mine in spring when the bark falls off.   Well, that would explain why you are chaseing a ring.  Good luck on this stave, and good luck on your upcomeing osage stave. 

Offline jbnizzle

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 11:39:44 pm »
If the wife or whoever doesn't mind, I'll soak mine in the pool for about 2 to 3 weeks and it's
just like Sprimg time. If you can get access.

J.B.
Army Drill Sergeant , you grew em now hold em up.

Offline sulphur

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 01:10:35 am »
i have chased a ring on hackberry.  its not difficult.  the wood is so easy to work.  the pithy layer is not as thick as osage or locust so you won't hear it unless you listen close.  mostly i go by the color change between layers.  as always, good lighting is important.  i had to chase a ring because of a ding when my wood rack collapsed, but since have done it cause it gives you a thicker ring and a clean white surface for staining.