Author Topic: Bow Strings - When to Change?  (Read 2591 times)

Offline dmassphoto

Bow Strings - When to Change?
« on: April 16, 2010, 01:56:47 am »
Hi all,
  Of course I'm a newbie and this may be a dumb question, but just wondering how often you change your strings out?  I've had my new bow for about a week and a half now, and probably put a couple hundred arrows through it, and I'm noticing some slight frays around the loops.  Should I be concerned?  Is there anything I need to do with the string or the bow if this does turn out to be a problem?  Below is an image of the string.  I've color-coded the arrows to help in responses.  You should be able to click on the pic to get a bigger view.  I'm probably most worried about the fray that the green arrow is pointing to.

Offline oneeye

Re: Bow Strings - When to Change?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 02:27:15 am »
Cut that little blue strand off and put some wax on that. your nock might be rubbin it a little at that green mark. some of my strings look shredded compared to that.  Good string should last quite a while,unless you cut it.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 02:35:00 am »
The blue arrow points to one of the threads at the end of the splice coming loose.  That one can be melted back with a lighter or candle so it isn't sticking out.  I would not expect to see fraying on the actual loop in a week and a half of use unless there's a sharp edge on the string nock of the bow.  What you're seeing looks pretty benign though.  When I was making laminated fiberglass bows I would see fraying if I didn't do a good job cutting nice smooth string nocks.  I can't remember seeing it on self bows though.  Check your bow's string nocks where the frayed part of the loop is.  One of the reasons for the beautiful tip overlays on the bows pictured around here is so that the bowyer can make the string nock smooth and gentle without cutting through the bow's back or leaving an abrupt corner on the bow back.  That's the only thing I can think of. 

To answer your question though, I change out my string whenever I see something I don't like.  I always make 2 strings for a bow.  I shoot one and get it all set up with an arrow nocking point, string silencers etc.  I shoot it for a week or so until I think it's done stretching.  Then I take it off and do the same thing with the other string.  That one stays on the bow and the other stays in my backpack.  If I see something I don't like with the string on the bow I switch it out and then make a new string when I get home.  Next practice session I set that one up...and so on.

Good luck.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 09:28:32 am »
I use continuous loop strings, the end loops are whipped which makes them less susceptible to chaffing.
V easy to make too, the only prob is getting the length right.
( always lay in a couple of extra strands at the loops too), never had one break or wear out yet, although my longbow could really do with a new one...I don't much like making strings tho'
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 10:23:15 am »
I agree with gstoneberg. Run your fingers through the nock grooves to check for sharp edges.  My strings last at least a year. I make myself new bows every year so I change bows before I change strings. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!