Author Topic: oak board bow questions..  (Read 2243 times)

Offline aero86

oak board bow questions..
« on: April 16, 2010, 02:17:19 am »
so i wanna make ANOTHER bow.  the first board bow i ever made ended up being a pyramid.  the next one i finished last weekend was board width till mid limb.  it shoots good, but i just dont like the character.  i like the pyramid look, so ive decided to make another.  but id like some input on a few things

id like to glue on some tips for the nocks, to recurve it a BIT.  id just use part of the board i cut off to glue one, then shape.  is titebondII ok for that?

id like to make a shorter bow.   my recent one is full 6 foot.  whats a good length for a pyramid bow?  with the glue on tips

and lastly, when i make my mark for the rough cut out of the thickness, being a pyramid bow, can i just make my line all the way across and stop at the handle?  or should i go from about 3/8 thickness then draw a diagonal line don to the handle.

sorry about the confusing questions!
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline zenmonkeyman

Re: oak board bow questions..
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 03:48:38 am »
I'll take a stab at these.  Nothing brings out responses like somebody being wrong!

TB II should be fine.

Length depends on your draw length.  Draw length X 2 + handle length is a good minimum starting length.  I don't think the pyramid shape changes the basic rule.

Definitely swoop the handle gently into the limbs.  The thickening wedge is what protects the handle from bending stresses.  A sharp shelf can only result in the handle shearing off.
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 05:04:45 am »
the glued on reflexed tips will work, I've used them several times, be sure to prep with acetone and I tooth it with a backsaw and use tb11, and use a board 6" long for the tips and give it plenty of cure time before you stress it
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline aero86

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 11:24:38 am »
yeah, id definitely swoop the handle into the limbs, i didnt mean that!  haha.  im gonna go with 60 inches tip to tip.  im gonna use the other 12 inches of board for the tips.  i wanted to glue on a handle riser as well, but i think ill leave that, unless i can find another piece of wood
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 05:56:51 pm »
walnut would look good on the tips if ya got some, then you can use the 12" piece of oak for the handle, the walnut or any contrasting wood will really stand out
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

stickytoes

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 09:13:13 pm »
I would highly recommend 4est build along on tradgang it is a great resource