Author Topic: What Finish Do You Use?  (Read 4180 times)

Offline stickthrower

Re: What Finish Do You Use?
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2010, 11:06:02 pm »
I was going to ask this same question in the very near future if my first bow works out.

I have Watco Danish oil here that i was hoping to use.  I think I will also need to go out and get some steel wool. 

Sartell, Minnesota

Offline barebo

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2010, 12:45:33 am »
Gopher, what do you mean regarding the poly versus the spar??? I've been using Tru Oil wiped on with finger - pretty labor intensive. I was going to just shoot my current one with Helmsman spray can. Is there a distributer online?? Tru Oil really makes wood grain jump, but I don't think it has the durability of other finishes.

Grunt

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2010, 09:54:43 am »
I was able to get 2 coats of urathane on last night, but ran out of time. The direction say if unable to recoat within 1 1/2 hrs wait 72  befor recoating. Then after the final coat to wait 24 hrs befor using. What is the reasoning behind this ??? This will put it Sunday befor being able to shoot :(

The reason for a long wait between coats in the drying process is so you don't "case harden " the finish. If the finish is  CH that means the outer coat drys and prevents the inner coat from drying. You usually end up with a sticky mess that takes forever to dry.

Offline shamus

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2010, 12:39:25 pm »
I use satin urethane, but here are some thought so mine on other bows finishes: http://analogperiphery.blogspot.com/2009/02/selfbow-finishes.html

There are lots of options.

Hope that helps.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2010, 01:33:59 pm »
I use mainly Bees Wax/Bear Grease....Or Beeswax/Tallow for my Finishes...but over Skins or Rawhide I prefer to use Polyurethanes...maninly the wipe-on's
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2010, 02:58:03 pm »
i just think that the spar varnish can look a little "plasticy" and because it is thicker it is harder to get a real good looking finish because it doesn't flwo as well. Arm-R-Seal is very very thin, almost liek water, i just barely get the tip of a foam brush wet and it will cover half a limb. since it is so thin you never have to worry about brush streaks. you do have to make sure you are only using a very smal amoutn at a time or you will get drips, but that isn't a big deal if you're careful. I do about 3-5 coats using steel wool in between coats. The gloss looks like glass when done, too shiney for hunting but great for show. I use the matte on hunting bows.
45# at 27"