Author Topic: service berry character sapling tillering advice requested  (Read 6065 times)

Offline juniper junkie

Re: service berry character sapling tillering advice requested
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2010, 12:24:07 pm »
juniper responds well to heat treating. the sinew continues to increase the reflex to some degree. my hunting bow is a holmgard style, i reflexed the tips some and have shot it hundreds of times, still has the same shape if not a little more reflex. put 2 heavy layers of sinew on it with rattlesnake skin. most of the serviceberry I have is around 2" diameter. there are some larger but hard to find without lots of branches when they get that big. sounds like my kind of store you are going to. good luck with your projects. keep in mind the bow-building gathering in may north of sisters. wouild love to have you join the rest of us infected by the bug.

Offline servicebeary

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2010, 02:49:40 pm »
bow building get together soon?  N. Cali/Oregon?  I would definately be interested.  When and where?  So I take it you live in Oregon or N. Cali?
I take life 1 month in the Montana wilds at a time...

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2010, 10:40:13 pm »
look under primitive shoots and events. we will be emailing flyers soon. it is north of sisters oregon, a place called squaw flats, which has been politically correctly changed to wychus flats.

Offline servicebeary

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2010, 03:38:41 pm »
good deal, and thanks.   I lived most of last year in Arlington and was camping near Mnt hood quite a few times.  This time I hope to bring home a piece or two of that fine white oak :)  What small brush/berry plants are around there that I can harvest?  I know there's Yew trees up high, but I get wicked migraines from yew  :'(

Offline Gordon

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2010, 05:24:36 pm »
Nick, I'll be at the gathering.

There's not much yew in the immediate vicinity, but lots of juniper.
Gordon

Offline servicebeary

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2010, 06:13:08 pm »
good deal, Juniper was next on my list anyhow.  Any dead stuff out there that's close to ready to work?  Or is anyone versed is a way to get good results out of green Juiper, or maybe even quick fire drying :o   ???
  I hope to see you all there, I hope my partner can pick up the slack at work so I can make it...I think I will make it :-\