Author Topic: Ticks  (Read 12890 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Ticks
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2010, 07:02:25 pm »
 I heard something interesting while I was hunting at Pappy's. Sodbuster told me the DNR, or whoever is in charge of wildlife in Tenn. has been releaseing a Boatload of Pygmy Rattlesnakes into the wild. It seem's their primary food source is ticks.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline stickbender

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2010, 07:26:00 pm »

Let's see, tick bite, snake bite, tick bite......uh I'll take tick bite.  I just put a little tea tree oil around my feet and socks, and lower pants.  I just put a couple drops in my hands rub them together, and rub on my boots, and socks, and lower pants legs, and around my neck.  The smell dissipates after awhile.  But I also tuck my pants legs into my boots also.  You can tape the pants legs also.  As for getting them off, I am like Dana, just pull em off.  The soap, or oil, covers the breathing ventricles, which is on their sides, like most insects, and mites, etc.  those little slotted tools, and special tweezers, work ok.  I haven't gotten any ticks on me in Montana, when I was in the woods in the summer, but they are there, because every deer I have killed in the winter, is covered in them.  They are weird looking.  They look more like a large mite, or louse.  Their body is sort of elongated, not like the wood ticks down here.  In fact they sort of remind me of small soft water beetles.  Without the sharp forearms. They are bad in Va.  I went up to Connecticut, to help a friend take some horses up there years ago  We stopped off at Petersburg battle field, for a break, and I told her that I was stationed there at Ft, Lee, for a little while when I was in the army, and showed her around the park.  Well we went on and stopped at a restaurant and I went in to the bathroom, and washed my hands, and was combing my handle bar mustash, when I felt something, and yep, it was a wood tick.  I immediately checked all other post puberty parts, including the hair on my head, that at that time I had.

Wayne

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2010, 07:45:46 pm »
Wayne those square bodied bugs are louse.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline stickbender

« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2010, 10:54:57 pm »

Jamie, they aren't square bodied, they are flat like a wood tick, but just a little longer in the body.  They have a tick head, and legs, just shaped a little differently than what I am used to seeing.  If they are Lice they are big ones!  :o  But the poor Deer, are usually well supplied with them.  Soon as the body cools, you can see a few of them crawling around on the hide.

Wayne

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2010, 10:59:04 pm »
Rattlesnakes eat ticks? Man, that's a new one on me, hehheheh. I just pull em off and squish em with my thumbnail - foolproof....
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2010, 12:11:25 am »

But Cowboy, just rember not to pick your teeth with your thumbnail afterwards...... :P

Wayne

Offline jamie

« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2010, 08:40:34 am »
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2010, 12:49:10 pm »
Yep,the ones we find on deer look like that,the strange part is I have just started noticing them the last few years,maybe 3 or 4. Never seen them before that. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline stickbender

« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2010, 03:55:44 am »

yeah, they do look sorta kinda like that.  So they are actually parastic flies...... 8)

Wayne

Grunt

« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2010, 08:37:00 am »
To keep em off you take rubber bands and put them around your ankles and tuck your pants into them. We called it blousing our boots in the MC. If all else fails and you got hairy legs shave a band down your leg and set fire to the hair and stab them with an ice pick when they run across the shaved part. 

Offline jamie

« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2010, 08:41:00 am »
Ice pick! Pappy I was thinking the same thing. Don't ever remember them then they were everywhere.my garage floor was crawling with them one time after skinning 2 deer

waterbury, ct

Offline J. DEMPLER

• It ain't knappin' if you ain't bleedin'
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2010, 10:52:15 am »
When I was a kid , mom would light a match ,blow it out and stick it on the tick while it was still hot. The tick would pull his head out and try to get away. Worked every time.
There is a place for all of Gods creatures, right next to the potatoes and gravy.

Madison, Indiana

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2010, 11:38:36 am »
Clarkesville, TN-the seed tick capital of the known universe. :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2010, 12:52:39 pm »
Clarkesville, TN-the seed tick capital of the known universe. :)

That ain't no joke..... >:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline billy

« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2010, 12:58:20 pm »
when I find them on me I just bite them off with my teeth, chew them up and eat them!!!  YEAH!!  So what if I have to go into the vet every 3 months and get shots along with my dog?  At least it helps keep the heartworm away!   >:D   >:D    >:D
Marietta, Georgia