Author Topic: Anyone use string nocks?  (Read 8491 times)

Offline dmassphoto

Anyone use string nocks?
« on: April 09, 2010, 07:44:55 pm »
Just wondering how you guys mark your nocking point.  Back in my compound days, I used a string nock and it worked great, but not sure if it would work out so well with a longbow.  Also, how do you determine the correct point to nock your arrow?  By feel, or is there some precise way of doing it?  Thanks!

-D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Anyone use string nocks?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 07:49:15 pm »
I use a nock on most of my bow strings. On some real primitive bows I don't.
  Generally I start off with the nock point set at 3/8" above horizontal then fine tune from there.
I nock my arrows above the nock point.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline dmassphoto

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 07:51:49 pm »
When you say "horizontal" you mean when the arrow is perfectly horizontal while it's sitting on the rest?  Then you nock 3/8" above that?

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 07:58:11 pm »
I use a unwaxed dental foss set in super glue for a nock point, also have use the brass crimp on ones
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 08:55:26 pm »
I always use a nock of either brass or wound-on thread unless it's a replica-type bow.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 10:55:36 pm »
 Same as Hillbilly.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 11:39:40 pm »
Ditto here also
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 12:12:09 am »
Actually I should have said 3/8" above the rest, perpendicular to the string. I use a bow square that attaches to the string to measure for nock placement.
  On the few primitive bows I've made I used no nock point but nocked the arrow by feel; about even tension from the top and bottom limb.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 02:16:08 am »
Like everyone else, metal or wound thread superglued in place. Also like Pat said.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline aero86

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 03:19:21 am »
wow, pat really confused me there..  you measure up from the rest, then go over perpendicular from that?  i have my nocking point wrapped with a bit of artifical sinew and superglue
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline chasing crow

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 08:09:31 am »
Wrapped thread. I can nock quickly by feel if needed due to dim light or keeping my eyes on my prey. I have problems with consistancy without it.
We know more than we think we do. Pass your knowledge on to our youth

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2010, 11:13:58 am »
A pic is worth a thousand words...

This is a R/D bow David Knight gave me. I don't have a nocking point on the string but can shoot it relatively good just by feel. I will add a nocking point and practice well with it before I hunted with it.

This is my regular bow. It is a bendy handle yew self bow with a floppy rest. You can see the thread wrapped nocking point above the 3/8" above horizontal.
  A bow square is the only way I know of measuring this. They are pretty cheap and necessary as far as I'm concerned.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 03:20:10 pm »
I prefer the brass ones, but thread is more easily available. I start with a tape-marker that's slightly up from parallel (I just start off going by eye) and then bareshaft. If the bare shaft consistently shoots low, then I lower the nocking point. If they consistently go high I raise the nocking point. Quickest and easiest way I know of to find the right point.

Offline aero86

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2010, 06:27:48 pm »
thanks pat!
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 07:16:35 pm »
for now I just go by look and feel...no real nocking point