Author Topic: B.D.F - Tiller Opinion, please  (Read 2190 times)

Offline Parnell

B.D.F - Tiller Opinion, please
« on: April 08, 2010, 07:57:17 pm »
So I've got this bow pulling 55 @ 27.  This picture was just taken at 22".  The thing I'm pondering is this.  The bottom limb has a bit more natural deflex and it has held the reflexed tip moreso than the top.  The bottom limb has the knot just a bit below the handle.  I know the tiller isn't spot on but, I just gave this bow a few shots and it felt very good.  It was very fast and I didn't have much vibration at all even with this crappy tillering string and no silencers.  Accuracy was what I want. 

Would you try to heat in some reflex to the bottom limb to even tiller, or just say, this bow shoots well and seems healthy?

Opinions, please?

[attachment deleted by admin]
1’—>1’

Offline Parnell

Re: B.D.F - Tiller Opinion, please
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 08:44:12 pm »
Bottom limb being the one on the right...
1’—>1’

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 08:57:19 pm »
 I'd like to see a relaxed picture. But if the bottom limb is holding the reflex, I'd leave it like it is.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 09:03:57 pm »
I prefer to make the stronger limb the bottom one. I feel it is under more stress wit the split finger draw. Also, remember that you will not be drawing from the center when shooting. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 09:11:01 pm »
 I do to, Jawge. If the bottom limb is holding the reflex better, then is is stronger.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 09:22:25 pm »
From the Picture that You supplied here....Your Bottom Limb has about one inch of Positive Tiller....thats more than what I like to carry....I would take some wood off of the Bottom from Mid Limb to about 6 inches from the Tip...but then I am also leaning to what Eddie said too....would be nice to see what it looks like just sitting there Unstrung....JMO
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 09:28:23 pm »
 Leave it alone. If you like it and it shoots to your satisfaction........well then perfection in bowyering is the idea of the bowyer, the wood dosent care neither does the game ifn ya hunt with it.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 09:37:04 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D
These responses are great.  Truly appreciate the advice from ya'll.

Here are some more pictures.  The relaxed picture is just after being unstrung from shooting.  The grouping is what I'm talkin about.  I was aiming at that circle and took a shot from 5 10 and 15 yds.

[attachment deleted by admin]
1’—>1’

Offline sonny

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 09:46:11 pm »
if it shoots that good I say leave it.
you're likely to drive yourself crazy trying to tweak it.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 09:49:37 pm »
Seems like both limbs are deflexed-reflexed equally at brace. I evaluate which limb is the strongest by how it appears at full draw. I tiller the bottom limb to be very slightly stiffer or stronger at full draw. At closer inspection it does appear the one on the right is stronger but it is hard for me to tell. One other thing- when I go out to shoot for the first time I make sure the bow is balanced at drawing and releasing. So Parnell, if she shoots balanced and good for you that's the test. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 07:31:14 am »
Looks pretty darn good to me,I would shoot it ,like others have said and if it shoots good ,leave it
be. Like jawgs says that is the test for me. It's wood with dip and knots so sometimes you don't get the prefect looking tiller like you would with a glass bow.I think sometimes we forget that. Nice job. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good