Author Topic: Has anyone ever tried making their own targets?  (Read 8319 times)

Offline dmassphoto

Has anyone ever tried making their own targets?
« on: April 08, 2010, 02:58:38 pm »
What do you guys use as targets?  Currently, I've got a few bales of hay, with some carpeting attached to the back so they don't go through and hit my house.  While looking around, I saw those nice rounded wicker-looking targets, but they're $200-300!  :o  Just wondering if any of you ever made your own, and how you did it, along with what materials used?

Offline uwe

Re: Has anyone ever tried making their own targets?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 03:15:41 pm »
I`ve made them first by photocopying 2-D - Animals (black and white as coloured copies). Then glue it to carton(correct???). Made it thick enough, about 10- 15mm. Its resisting more shots. Then I`ve discovered a new material at work. Machineparts in big wooden boxes are often packed with flexible foamboards. These are about 4" X 1" thick and 1 yard for you, (for me around 1m long). I glue them 1 board to the next board, so I`ll get a plate of 1m X 0,5m/0,6/0,7m or what you need. These are horizontal, On its back I glue another layer, but this time vertical to get more strength. You can make one layer more, if you have enough material, but it depends on the length of the sawblade in the next step. Then I take one of my copies, glue them to the plate and cut it out with an electrical jigsaw. I get a silhouette of a little bear, deer, beaver, bird....
Next is rasping some structure into the animal for making it 3-D- like.
Must make next some pics for you, accus are low.
Regards Uwe

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 03:59:31 pm »
Nylon Grain Sack...fill it with Polyester Pillow Fill...you can buy it by the big. Bag at Wal Mart
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Kegan

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 09:08:34 pm »
Newspaper! Two or three stacks of newspapers alternating up and down so it stacks flat and square tied off with old bow strings. Pretty easy and works well enough :)

Forgot to mention that you shoot them between the papers, like those stacked foam targets.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 06:02:12 pm by Kegan »

Offline Timo

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 09:08:40 am »
I have the local farmers here keep their hay bale net wrap for me. Stuff it in a plastic sack. I keep one in the shop at all times.  Getting ready to make a 2x10 frame, with chicken wire on  the outsides and stuff it full, anything to hold it. works great.

They had a big thread about this over on another site.

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 09:42:02 am »
Go to a furniture store and get some of the heavy plastic wrapping they ship the furniture in.  Stuff that in a feed sack and you've got a nearly indesructible and weatherproof target.  I was out on a dairy farm the other day and saw some huge bags of lime.  The bags were probably at least 3' cubed and had heavy loops on  the top for lifting with forks on a tractor.  I'd love to get one of those to stuff.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 12:22:24 pm »
Jonathan...if you want to pay shipping on a Super Sack...I am sure I can get my hands on one for you....may take a Few weeks though
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 12:52:42 pm »
I'd be glad to pay shipping.  Just let me know when.  I appreciate the offer.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 01:48:06 pm »
Let Me tell the Warehouse that I want one...so they will hold one for you... them suckers are huge...what you going to stuff it with?
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 03:35:38 pm »
Let Me tell the Warehouse that I want one...so they will hold one for you... them suckers are huge...what you going to stuff it with?

Plan is to use the furniture wrapping plastic.  We just got a new sofa and loveseat, plus I picked up some extra while we were at the store, so I've got a good bit.  Probably will need to go get some more for this size bag, though.
Cleveland, NC

Offline sailordad

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 08:59:53 pm »
heres my home made target,usualy i use a block
but thought this would be appropriate for practice this time of year
i actually made this last summer.
i took and old turkey decoy,and filled it with expansion faom insulation.
this took several days to do properly
you dont want to put to much in it at once.other wise it may take forever if not longer to cure all the way thru
you have to leave enough room for it to fully expand and cure,then another layer and so on.
it is a little time consuming to make it,but it was well worth it.
the arrow that is in it came out of a bow i got from Pappy,cockeyed is its name.
it pulls 51# @ 25" it says on it.this shot was from ten yds and it never fully penetrated the target,not any fault of the weapon.
the foam is fully cured and works mcuh the same as my block 4x4 target.i get the same amount of penetration(roughly) into the lock as the turkey.
i have shot this target about 15 times and never had an arrow sticking out both sides,this stuff works well and is failry cheap.
not to mention you get a 3d target to shoot at  ;)

i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 10:04:21 pm »
Probably will need to go get some more for this size bag, though.

I would hope so...these Bags hold 2500 pounds of Fertilizer.....Lime....Catalyst....you name it...they are big!!
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 07:28:52 am »
El D - my company sells those (full of stuff) and I never thought of using it. Good tip!  The thought of filling it is a little daunting though ;D 50 lb rice sacks you could get at any asian restaurant stuffed with wall mart bags will work too.
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2010, 08:46:28 am »
And a damned sight smaller....and easier to fill too......... :P
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline aero86

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2010, 08:40:42 pm »
soda cans, stuffed easter bunnies that were on sale, cardboard boxes stuff with more cardboard boxes
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.