Author Topic: Got to Meet a REAL BOWYER  (Read 2616 times)

Offline islandpiper

• "Just one more bow, OK?"
Got to Meet a REAL BOWYER
« on: April 09, 2010, 09:29:03 am »
A week or so ago a young fellow and his delightful family stopped in to my shop.   DCM4 was passing by and made a lunch stop in Hammond, La.  I was treated to seeing some of his bows, and all i can say is.......I should throw mine away.   He is a real craftsman, and his bows show it.  Nice smooth pull, effective finish and handles that want to be held.  Very nice stuff.  And, like many of us, he has made this a family activity.   His wife was quick to point out which of the bows were HERS.   :) 

It's always nice to meet other members and see their work.  Thanks for stopping in David!!

piper

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Got to Meet a REAL BOWYER
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 10:22:00 am »
David is gonna fool around and learn to make a bow one of these days, isn't he? ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 10:44:47 am »
Ya he is the real deal,and a nice fellow to boot.I don't ever get to spend much time with him when he is up to my place,wished I could. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 10:54:16 am »
wish i coulda been there.  :-\ ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 10:57:47 am »
My wife and I drove out to Mojam in 2003. As we were packing to leave for home, David threw in an osage log. Just threw it in out of the goodness of his heart. Thank you, DCM. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

DCM4

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 11:18:42 am »
Yew boys are gonna make me blush.  Thanks for your kind words. 

Pappy we'll be there directly, looking forward to it.  You got a beautiful place and it's a real blessing for you to share it with us.

What Keith did not say was he's a luthier by trade and what these guys do make a bow-n-arra look like a play perty.  I was humbled by his craftmanship.  You'd have to see some of the tee-niney lil tools he uses, planes, scrapers and gouges to appretiate it.  I tried pickin' on a guitar for about a decade there when I was young, but alas have no music in me naturally.  Bowyerin' is a skill, something that can be learned with sufficient investment.  Making wood sing, you get that, or some measure of it, from the Creator.

We really enjoyed our stop Keith.  It did turn out to be the highlight of our trip.  So much so we're liable to do it again next year, correctly this time.  We'll stay the night in Hammond on the way down and enjoy first-Friday properly.  Btw, stopped out on 190 (B&J Seafood maybe) and got oysters, crawfish and shrimp and french bread galore on the way back Sunday.  Just finished it up last night.

Offline horseapple

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 11:30:12 am »
I must agree, Mims is a good'n, always enjoy his company.

JD

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 08:43:03 pm »
 David, I have to agree with you about Keith's talent. I was totally amazed at the tools, he used and the thin wood he worked with. And to top it off, the finished Product. Along with the hospitality and pretty wife.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Timo

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 11:34:54 pm »
There's bad and good eggs.Mims is a goodun! ;)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 11:48:37 pm »
I've heard Mims is a good bowyer and after meeting him at the Classic 2 years ago I can say he's a nice guy too.  ;D  Looking forward to seeing you and your wife again this year, David.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC