Author Topic: is this persimmon?  (Read 1607 times)

Offline aero86

is this persimmon?
« on: April 04, 2010, 11:58:11 pm »
north east texas.  i think it is.  the berries were orangish in color, but i didnt think to take a picture untill they started to shrivel up.  horses have eaten the bark off one side of the stand of trees so i wanna try to save a stave or two if it is persimmon

profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: is this persimmon?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 12:42:07 am »
Not a persimmon I've ever seen. I was thinking chinaberry but the way the fruit hangs makes me question that.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline KShip85

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 12:57:36 am »
I am certainly no expert but it looks like western soapberry to me.  I want to say El D used it for his Christmas storm bow.  I do not think it's persimmon though.  Just my two cents.

Kip
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 02:03:59 am »
Yep...thats Soapberry...and it was a pleasure to work with...and so far...this Bow is a Pleasure to shoot also...the Wood has lots of stored Energy...I would not be afraid to cut and make Bows from it ...thats for sure....JMO

One more thing...does the Tree grow in a sort of Grove...a bunch clustered together...in a sort of round circular shape??
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline aero86

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 02:17:41 am »
i cant find any decent pictures of the fruit online to distinguish between the two so far.  but el d says soapberry, im gonna go with that.  it does grow like that.  many decent size offerings to be cut as well.  did you use the outside of the limb as the back of the bow? or does it have a darker heart wood?
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 02:44:44 am »
All I did was peel the Bark off....like any other Whitewood...good luck with it..I really enjoyed working mine...and shooting it also
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline jbnizzle

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 11:04:36 pm »
that bark don't look like any persimmon I've ever seen as well

J.B.
Army Drill Sergeant , you grew em now hold em up.

Offline matte

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 09:17:56 am »
looks like "China Berry"