Author Topic: All Bamboo R/D  (Read 1927 times)

Offline Olschool

All Bamboo R/D
« on: April 02, 2010, 11:00:28 pm »
I just finished my first laminated bow. My wife and daughter gave me an all bamboo longbow kit from Rudderbows for my birthday and I got all the parts ready to glue up in time to take to OJAM last month. Many thanks to Dan Renfro for help with the glue up and use of his form.

Offline aznboi3644

Re: All Bamboo R/D
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 04:55:53 am »
Nice work...Bamboo is my all time favorite plant.  I love the reflex deflex profile but I'm not up to tillering one yet.

What all did you have to do tillering wise with this?  I have been wanting to try one of Rudderbows kits.  Its on my to-do list lol.

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 01:29:31 pm »
Nice work. This has to be a very snappy bow. Bookmarked for April Laminate BOM, too.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Dave 55

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 02:39:55 pm »
Great lookin bow and a definet challenge to build I bet.Bet shes quick.
Now is the good old days

Offline Olschool

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 10:52:47 am »
As for tillering, I was told it would be better to do this as a 2 part glue up. Back and core first, tiller and work to about 15# under the weight you want then glue on the belly.
Of course, I didn't get this advise until we had already taken the completed bow from the hotbox  ;D
Before the glue up I tried to make sure all my tapers were as equal as I could make them so the limbs would bend evenly. I staggered the nodes between the back and belly so as not to have any stiff spots.
After the glue-up, following more advise, I trapped the back of the bow first so I wouldn't overpower the core and belly, working the limbs a lot after removing equal amounts from both sides of the limb.