Author Topic: Fire Making  (Read 6504 times)

Offline bigcountry

Fire Making
« on: May 19, 2010, 12:16:18 pm »
I watched a guy make a fire with a bow drill in less than 3min.  Had a yucca stick, and looked like ERC plank.  Just a branch with cotton rope. 

Is there other good wood combos?  I am totally ignorant in fire making.  But dad gone impressed.
Westminster, MD

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Fire Making
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 01:35:09 pm »
Horseweed spindle with tulip poplar hearthboard is my favorite combo for both hand drill and bow drill. Yucca spindle on poplar works well for a bow drill, too. There are a lot of things that will work for spindles-horseweed, mullien, goldenrod, evening primrose, yucca, cattail, poplar, dog fennel, etc. Almost any soft, non-resinous wood will work for a hearthboard. Tulip poplar, basswood, and boxelder are some good ones. Here's an old thread showing me making a hand drill fire: http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,3099.0.html
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 02:11:18 pm »
I like erc sap wood on erc sap wood. I'v used that combo allot and evon made fires in the rain.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 03:04:20 pm »
Many thanks guys.  I will try it.  I can get ERC.  Not sure about yucca.  This guy said he finds yucca in the MD/VA area.    But I thought it was a west coast wood.
Westminster, MD

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 03:36:49 pm »
Many thanks guys.  I will try it.  I can get ERC.  Not sure about yucca.  This guy said he finds yucca in the MD/VA area.    But I thought it was a west coast wood.

It grows quite well in this area (MD) but is mainly used as a landscape plant. I've seen the flower stalks get 6' plus tall.

There was some planted at my house when I bought it and I can't seem to get rid of it. I dig out the roots to over 12" deep and the next season they're back. I may have to see if I can get some of the dried flower stalks in the fall.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 05:02:24 pm »
Bigcountry, most species of yucca grow out west, but Yucca filamentosa (beargrass) is native to the eastern US. It's quite common here in western NC and throughout most of the Southeast.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline aero86

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 05:49:47 pm »
is this just limited to bow drills?
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 06:39:29 pm »
Many thanks guys.  I know what I am looking for.  Watch me never find it now.  I know I can get cedar and poplar around my house.  Just looking for spindle material.  Try to make my first ember.
Westminster, MD

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 10:21:10 pm »
My favorite combo is horseweed on ERC sapwood or hearwood hearth for the handrill.   For bow drill I really like a White cedar spinde on either white or ERC.  I've also had luck with thick Mullein spindes for the bow drill and thin ones for the handrill.  Keep us posted on your progess.  Fire making is so much fun.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Diligence

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 10:24:14 pm »
I've had luck with poplar on poplar.....keep us posted.

Lots of good info on Youtube too about good technique.

J
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 11:54:14 am »
Many thanks guys.  I know what I am looking for.  Watch me never find it now.  I know I can get cedar and poplar around my house.  Just looking for spindle material.  Try to make my first ember.

If you're using the bow drill youalready have spindlematerial right there :). I've used aspen on aspen before for the bow drill with success, and that's supposed to be a bad combo. For hand drilllook along the side of the road when you're driving through. Some of the stalky plants are pretty good, including mullien, horseweed, and goldenrod.

Offline aaron

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 12:11:52 pm »
my favorite combo is yucca on WRC. or yucca on yucca.
not all yucca is equally good, so try a few different plants if one does not work.
3 minutes, huh?
my hand drill "record" is about 20 seconds
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 07:04:37 pm »
I am on the lookout for horseweed, beargrass, and goldenrod.  I can't say I have seen much bear grass if any around.
Westminster, MD

Offline WOODSLORE

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2010, 03:14:58 pm »
Dad and I use a maple drill and a cedar board and we can usually get a fire going in about 5 min.
Paleo arts are a long sent gift from our ancestors.

If primitive meant dumb......none of us would have been born!

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 09:46:21 pm »
Hey  Woodslore, Get some softer spindle an you will cut your time in half, Are you an your Dad coming to the Presque Isle shoot this weekend? I'll throw in some yucca an mullien stalks that I have an you'll throw that ole maple out for sure ;D, If you look closely in fine print on the mullien it says caution highly flammable :o. Bring your Knappin tools also , gonna be some good rock crackin goin on . Later Bob