Author Topic: want to try an ERC and sinew shortty  (Read 1698 times)

Offline KShip85

want to try an ERC and sinew shortty
« on: April 04, 2010, 02:16:27 am »
Cut some wood today off the branches of a couple cedar trees and was wanting to know if they look good to try as a west coast style sinew backed shorty.  I've been wanting to back a bow with sinew for awhile as the processing plant where I got the sinew said they would like to see a finished bow with it.  They are pretty short, 40 1/2 on one  and  43 on the other.  Any advice on which one has the best chance of makig it???  This is some pretty stuff an I'm hoping ky works out.  Thanks for the help!

Kip

Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
Re: want to try an ERC and sinew shortty
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 08:01:40 am »
I recently tried a 58" sinew backed ERC flatbow.   I had it completely tillered, it was about 50 at 26".  Then I took it off the tree and drew it a few times and it exploded.  From what everyone has told me here.  ERC either makes a really great shooting bow or it blows up.  Good luck to you, keep it wide and less than 50# would be my advice.  Keep us posted on your progress.
Traverse City, MI

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 02:43:36 pm »
I recently did a 56in, bend thru the handle, backed with rawhide. When it was finished it was just a little too heavy to pull with my shoulder the way it is, last night I shaved about 10lbs off it, it's alot easier to shoot now. I found something with my bow when working with the ERC, maybe it's just me but I tried heat bending this stuff numerous times to remove some deflex, it just didn't come out. Maybe it responds better to steam?. The finished bow is super light in the hand.
Good luck with your project. There are people out there who have worked alot with ERC.
As far as your question about which pc would make it, it's hard to say but I think you'd have less problems with the shorter one.

VB

Offline KShip85

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 03:42:04 pm »
Thanks guys, I've tried three erc bows and ended with one shooter.  It was a flatbow drawing 75 lbs at 27 inches backed with canvas material.  It shoots well but scares the crap out of me to draw.  I have the feeling one day it will blow without warning.  I'll probably try the shorter one and see how it goes.  They are pretty when they hold up and can zip an arrow.

Kip
Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN