Author Topic: New to this and wanted to try something...  (Read 2207 times)

Offline KShip85

New to this and wanted to try something...
« on: March 23, 2010, 01:01:14 am »
Well I have no done much arrow making but am wanting to get into it to have some more primitive arrows to shoot.  With turkey season approaching I was inspired to try and make my own version of a "gobbler guillatine" and ended up with this.  Very easy to make but need to work on it a little as the tip broke off at the taper.  The few shots I took with it seemed to fly pretty good and it has a heck of a cutting cross section to make my life easier going for a neck shot.  A little on the heavy side,  need to use smaller diameter shafts forl one, this one was too big for the glue on field point so I had to sand it a lot to get it to fit.  Need to invest in some 23/64" shafts to match the glue on points.  Well just thought I'd get some input from you pros before I go making some serious ones.  Any advice is appreciated and thanks for looking!
Kip

Kip Shipley    Bloomington, IN

Offline sailordad

Re: New to this and wanted to try something...
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 01:22:02 am »
looks deadly enough
to help reduce the weight try cutting just the front 1/4" of the utility blades off and just using that part(the cutting edge)
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline scattershot

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 12:52:21 pm »
Maybe not "primitive", but how about sleeving the front 2" or so of the shaft with a section of aluminum shafting, and cut the slots in that as well as the wooden arrow.
"Experience is just a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 09:34:20 pm »
whoa!
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 09:38:37 pm »
OUCH! that would leave a mark.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline KShip85

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 03:15:13 pm »
Thanks for the help guys.  I cut the blades down which helped with weight and the strength of the tip since I did not have to cut as deep into the shaft.  Seems to be shooting pretty straight.  I need to fix my other target though as I accidentally winged it...left a bit of a mark...lol.  Thanks again for the help...now I just need to get close enough to a turkey to hit it.

Kip

Offline Orkraider

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 10:37:08 pm »
holy cow, I got shivers just looking at that. That's gonna do some fowl damage.
Riley, Saint Paul, MN

Offline KShip85

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 12:39:23 am »
Haha...yeah it probably would not penetrate bone very well but scares me what kind of soft tissue damage this could do just seeing it on the side of my bag target.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 10:09:24 am »
Haha...yeah it probably would not penetrate bone very well but scares me what kind of soft tissue damage this could do just seeing it on the side of my bag target.

broadheads like that arent designed to penetrate
they are designed to decapitate  >:D  head/neck shots are all they realy are good for

there are commercial ones like that for turkey hunting,such as the gobbler guilotine,the bullhead
but i realy like his inginuity to make his own
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd