Author Topic: I love this weather  (Read 3950 times)

Stringman

I love this weather
« on: March 29, 2010, 11:35:51 am »
Sittin outside the garage with a buddy the other day, he was shooting sparrows off the bird house, I was peckin on rocks. The first one I blew the ear off of so had to reshape it. The second was my take on a pine tree. It started as a really thin flake and I couldn't believe I was able to run flakes across the face of it. Most of the time, I make gravel out of that stuff. These turned out alright and super sharp!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline DanaM

Re: I love this weather
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 12:59:05 pm »
Nice points, but got to wonder why ya would shoot sparrows ??? They taste good :-\
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 02:52:18 pm »
I was wondering the samething Dana.....must have missed something.....Sparrows must have been attacking....or something to be so threatened by them....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Stringman

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 04:16:57 pm »
Tastes like chicken!

No seriously, the sparrows have become pretty invasive and don't leave a lot of room for the "more desirable birds" (purple martins, blue bird, swallows.) I consider the sparrows fair game, much the same as a mouse diggin thru the walls of my house, or a mole in the yard. Just part of the way i was raised I guess. How do you all feel about that? Am I out of line?

By the way, the pics loaded backwards, The first one is my pine tree attempt.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 04:46:03 pm »
I'm a poor one to ask....because I was raised...if you shoot....you must eat it....plain and simple....animals are for harvesting to put food on the table...all others get paint balled........jmo
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

VenomBOWslinger

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 05:55:51 pm »
Nice points not sure about the rest ofthe gig... :-\

Venom

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 07:15:30 pm »
I'd say those turned out better than allright - nice points man! My take on the sparrow thing - down here they are in the same class as the black cow birds, crows, ferrel rock doves and others. Open season on em, but I don't bother unless their being a neusance.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 08:40:25 am »
great chippins
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Timo

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 09:07:41 am »
Nice job stringman!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 09:54:54 am »
hey if their invasive and damaging then open season, their not a problem up here so I was curious :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 10:08:01 am »
Nice points,I don't shoot them myself but Miss Joanie will fire them up with her 22 if they get to roosting on her car mirrors,and some will try her almost every year. ;) :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 04:39:18 pm »
nice loooking points. scars look cool on those
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 05:26:25 pm »
Great looking points! And he's probably talikng about English/house sparrows. They're a non-native, extremely invasive species that take habitat, food, and nesting space from native birds, as well as actually commonly killing both adult and young native birds.  English sparrows and starlings are blamed by many ornithologists as being a major factor in the decline of many native birds, such as bluebirds and other cavity-nesting songbirds. They also can carry several diseases. In most places, they are unprotected and classed as invasive vermin. People get rid of them for the same reason that you kill mice and rats in your house.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 05:30:20 pm by Hillbilly »
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 06:05:02 pm »
Nice looking points!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

brian melton

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 06:06:50 pm »
Nice points! I shoot them every chance I get especially crows.....I collect their feet.. ;D