Author Topic: Question on Iroquios design  (Read 2597 times)

VenomBOWslinger

Question on Iroquios design
« on: March 28, 2010, 11:45:21 pm »
Does any of you have a site or info on Iroquios patterns for bows.  I am build a bow for a friend that he wants an woodland NY Iroquio design.  I have a few books and a few ideas but am always curious to see what someone else comes up with.  Thanks guys

Russ

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
Re: Question on Iroquios design
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 08:11:46 am »
simple d bow. 1 to 1 1/4" wide . slight taper to tips. tips are usually pretty wide. 3/4" to 1" wide. r/d designs were common too with the same widths. some were painted most were just plain. art work was  painted, burned or carved with floral designs and animals. especially the turtle. length of the bows varied tremendously. 40" to 72". marc st louis has some good examples of eastern woodland bows. search his work. i know hillbilly did a version of the rd design too.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

half eye

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 09:53:54 am »
Venom,
      Here are some photos of Iroquios bows. I dont know which of the confederation tribes they are ascribed to as the museum has no attribution assigned to them.
     Hope it helps you some.
Rich

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 01:04:46 pm »
Jamie's right.  But I'll add my two cents:   ;D

The "Iroquois" artifacts in musems may belong to one of the following tribes: Mohawk, Oneida, Onondaga, Cayuga, and Seneca, or Tuscarora.  Since these tribes share ideas, the bows were of various types and designs.  However, there is one design that was very common:

D-bow with no discernable handle
Hickory wood
Rectangular cross section
48" to 58" long
Diamond-shaped nocks
1-1/4" wide at the handle
3/4" wide at the nocks
40lb-80lb draw weight
22" to 28" draw length
Unpainted
No handle wrap
Rawhide string

I've seen Iroquois bow cross sections with decrowned wood, quatersawn type grain, and chased rings.  I think the most common were the chased-ring type or they simply used the wood directly under the bark...from a 6"+ diameter logs.  Bows from small diameter limbs do not appear to be common.

Hope that helps.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

VenomBOWslinger

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 06:00:39 pm »
Thanks for the info boys...Half eye Awesome pics... thankyou!

Russ

VenomBOWslinger

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 02:05:12 am »
Halfeye I like the paint with the turtles and what appears to be a snake!  Any tips or suggestions on application???

Russ