Author Topic: Handle Issues  (Read 1936 times)

Offline Kentb

Handle Issues
« on: March 25, 2010, 11:39:57 pm »
I am in need of some help with handle area on my second Osage bow. When I layed out the bow I put a large knot outside the handle area, but when I cut out the handle area the knot is angled into the side of the handle, and I only have 1" left from belly to back if I leave the knot. I was thinking I could go ahead and cut the knot out only leaving about 1/2" belly to back, then glue a chunk of wood in to get my handle thickness. Will this work, and if so, what would I glue the wood I'm adding to the handle with?
I am open to any suggestions if there is a better way. Picture below.
Thanks!!!!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kentb

Re: Handle Issues
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 11:45:10 pm »
The picture above is the side view and the back is up.

Offline woodstick

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 11:53:53 pm »
if it was me i would shape the handle the way i want it the feels good then i would glue on some harness leather. you can use a rasp, file on the leather just like wood. i have used it before to build up some of my handles. then just use whatever you use to cover the handle. hope this helps.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 01:42:38 am »
Maybe take a pocket knife and scrape out everything in the knot that is not sound, then fill it in with a mix of superglue and sawdust?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 05:16:38 am »
I would just leave it alone as much as possible untill the bow is nearer completion, by then the wood may have made the decision for you.
You can't put it back on, so leave it be for now. (A bit like those chores for the wife.... don't do 'em until you really have to ;D)

What I mean, is that when the limbs are finished (or near finished) you will be able to judge how much timber you need in the handle area to take the strain, and will therefore be able to see how much you can safely remove.
Del
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 05:21:20 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Kentb

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 10:46:58 am »
Thanks, I have decided to leave it until tillering is mostly complete then shape as needed and build it up with leather. I am close to having it ready for the short string with no problems yet. I am trying to get it to 55# at 30 1/2" its only 62" ntn so wish me luck.

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 11:45:14 am »
Howdy Kenth,

Since you have a very short stave (for you drew length) and you have a pretty nasty knot in the handle area, I think you should consider making a primitive, bend-through-the-handle type of bow.  That way, you'll be using all of your length as bending wood, and the handle area will be about 3/4" thick with rounded edges.

You might still have some of that knot remaining in your handle area.  So, you may need to thin it more and then glue in a 1/4" or so, piece onto the belly side of the handle, as you inquired about.  I think you could get away with that.  Maybe you'd have to use a few thin laminations to build up that 1/4" thickness.  I'd then wrap that area with rawhide or sinew or some strong cordage.  I'm not sure what type of glue to use.

Or, rather than going for broke, maybe you should build this stave as a really nice 40# bow for lady friend or for a young person.

Good Luck,
Canoe     

"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

Offline Kentb

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 05:51:00 pm »
I am building this bow for turkey hunting from a blind this spring, so the shorter length is for blind clearance, but you are probably right, I should not push it too much with my draw length. But I am fortunate that I have easy access to a lot of Osage, and have several staves ready to go. So if it breaks it will make some good firewood at Tenn. Classic, and a learning experience.
Thanks

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 05:06:39 am »
The more I look at it, the more I think that knot is just where you would carve away the grip anyway...
Youll probably fin it just dissappears but leaves you with beautiful grain which follows the contour of the grip rather than grain which has been cut through by the shaping. Thus it could end up being stronger than a regulare grip!
Be of the wood grasshopper... Ommmm Ommmm
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline shamus

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 12:55:15 pm »
I would just leave it alone as much as possible untill the bow is nearer completion, by then the wood may have made the decision for you.

Agreed. And very well-written, btw.