Author Topic: R/D BBC Tiller check  (Read 2955 times)

Offline NTD

R/D BBC Tiller check
« on: March 27, 2010, 02:59:40 am »
Decided to try to Coyote.  It is really a pretty wood and not too hard to work.  I'd like your feedback on how badly I butchered the R/D profile.

Nate Danforth

Offline Orkraider

Re: R/D BBC Tiller check
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 07:29:56 am »
to my untrained eye, it looks great all the way through both limbs. very nice.
Riley, Saint Paul, MN

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 08:25:29 am »
NTD I like the unstrung profile.. On the next one I would try and get the mid limb working a bit more..  ;)

Offline acker

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 10:50:35 am »
HM, I'm not sure about my opinion.
I would like to see a photo on brace hight.

Gruß acker

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 11:10:04 am »
A braced pic would help but it looks pretty good to me. Listen to what David(knightd) said. He builds lots of this type of bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 12:58:46 pm »
Well, I like everything about it. So there >:D!   Bookmarked, too, for March Laminates in the BOM program.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 04:03:45 pm »
I think the tiller is great. There is a lot of reflex right at midlimb giving the illusion of not bending. I would be really happy with the way it turned out.
Coyote wood, or Macawood (Platymiscium yucatanum) is a slightly denser than Osage, it should be a good performer if it doesn't fret. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 07:05:09 pm »
Nice bow.  :) I would be proud of it!  I've always had trouble tillering R/D bows.  In your last picture it looks like ti might have some frets.  Might not be seeing it clearly, though.
"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 09:06:28 pm »
Good looking bow. Probably has my first R/D attempt beat by a mile.
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

Offline NTD

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 10:14:07 pm »
Well I've had a short string of bad luck...I was doing the final sanding on this bow and noticed that it has developed compression fractures.  How long will a bow hold up after this?
Nate Danforth

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2010, 11:56:12 pm »
It depends on how bad the frets are, where they are on the bow and species of wood.
If it was me I would flatten the belly and take it down to about 30# then put another lamination on the belly.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Badger

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 12:06:45 am »
   I built two from coyote and they both had compression fractures. Still shot well but you never feel the same about a bow once that happens. Lots of that tropical hardwood chrsals. Steve

Rich Saffold

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 12:32:21 am »
Too bad it checked Nathan.  The bow and tiller look real good to me.  I'd keep shooting it and see what it does.  It looks a bit like Bubinga to me and I have seen that wood be either great or useless for bows and  by looks you wouldn't be able to tell.  Perhaps try a longer elb style if you have more wood left and see if it holds up better.

Rich

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2010, 05:56:48 pm »
Its definitely bending to much in the inner limbs. You need more bend from mid limb out whether it's reflexed or not.
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline NTD

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2010, 08:17:40 pm »
Maybe if I had worked the midlimb more it might not have fretted. ::)  Well I'm a work in progress, If I don't get the profile right on the next two I have in the works I'm giving up on the R/D profile.
Nate Danforth