Author Topic: Bamboo failure  (Read 1738 times)

Offline NTD

Bamboo failure
« on: March 27, 2010, 07:52:55 pm »
Had this pop up when I reached 27" draw.  Can I save it?  Maybe super glue it down?  I have 3" to go on this bow and shooting for 55lbs.  Thanks for any help.

Nate Danforth

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Bamboo failure
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 08:00:25 pm »
Ouch, that is rough. You can superglue it down then wrap it with sinew, or wrap it in silk thread and saturate the silk with super glue. It will probably hold together, but it makes it nearly impossible to tiller after it has been wrapped. I would wrap it really good and give it to a neighbor or friend with a shorter draw.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline NTD

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 08:05:33 pm »
Thanks Justin, Yeah it is rough...I was making this one for Frank and he was really excited about it.  I'll try wrapping it with silk thread and super glue and see how that goes.  Thanks for the advice.

Should I glue it at brace or relaxed?

Nate
Nate Danforth

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 08:16:50 pm »
relaxed.......

Lift the splinter a little so you can get the super glue all the way under it.
Hold it down tight while the glue dries.
Wrap it tight with silk thread, then saturate the thread.
Sand the thread lightly then glue again.

You will have to wrap the entire area so it takes a while, but it is worth the patience. Shoot it a few weeks to make sure you are happy with it. Then you will probably wind up wrapping the other limb to make them look more balanced.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline NTD

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 08:20:44 pm »
Would I be able to put a rawhide patch over it after super glueing it instead?  And that would allow me to continue tillering it?
Nate Danforth

Offline Gordon

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 09:27:32 pm »
That can be repaired. Glue the splinter back down with superglue. Then take a sharp scraper and make the edges of the splinter perfectly even with the surface. Glue a thin rawhide patch about 1" in length over the end of the splinter where it started. Bevel the edges of the rawhide so it flows nicely into the surface of the bamboo. Wrap the patch tightly with thread and then soak in superglue. Put a matching wrap on the other limb for looks.
Gordon

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 10:01:00 pm »
Hey NTD i would recommend epoxy and maybe wrap it with some sinew or rawhide, whichever you prefer. I would not feel safe with super glue because its very thin and the area is significantly large to super glue it.If you want it to sty together add the epoxy resinb as far as you can in the crack and wap the end where it began and where it ends. Good luck, let us know how it turn out.
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY