Author Topic: leather handle placement  (Read 1803 times)

Offline Hopefullbowyer

leather handle placement
« on: March 26, 2010, 04:06:39 am »
Just finishing up my bow.  going to put a leather wrap and arrow rest on.  was wondering if I should place the arrow rest at center of bow, or the center of the handle at center of the bow.  also should the stronger limb be the upper limb or lower.  I tried to get even tillering but one side looks a little stiff. when measured on the tiller tree only about an 1/8 inch difference from left limb to right limb when measured at 12 and 18 inches.  6 inch measured the same.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: leather handle placement
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 05:13:46 am »
Usually the arrow rest is about 1" bove geometric centre.
I think the 'stronger' 'weaker' terms are aften missused and confused.
If a shorter limb bends to the same point as the longer one under the same load, do you call it stronger/weaker or the same?
I'd go by eye, get it on the tiller tree as close as possible to how you will hold and draw it and tiller the bow to look even, with no rocking or tilting as it's drawn back.
Measurements are for assistance, let your eye be the final judge.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline straightarrow

• "Success or failure, neither are final"
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 06:21:33 am »
I mark the center then place my middle finger over the mark and grip the handle. Then I mark where the shelf should be. I like to shoot with the shelf as close as possible to my hand. As Del said its usually about a 1" to 1 1/4.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 06:33:00 am »
The stiffer limb should be the bottom,I just shoot the bow and move my hand up and down
a little till I find the sweet spot then the mark at the top of my hand and put the rap or grip          from there down. :) Don't really know the measurement from the center. :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Greatgoogamooga

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 08:48:13 am »
The first time I put a shelf on a bow, I put it dead center.  There was not enough room to carve a decent handle, having done so.  My hand felt cramped. Now, I cut the shelf early on so that I know I will have a good handle, then tiller around it.

Goog

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 12:12:27 pm »
Handle is 3.5-5 in depending on length of the stave. Shelf is 1.25 in above center. If I can't get the bottom limb to be a little stiffer at full draw with tillering and keep the weight I want, then I'll move the shelf down a bit. I like to keep things simple because I'm a simple person. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!