Author Topic: painting your bow  (Read 1960 times)

Offline tsa yo ga

painting your bow
« on: March 24, 2010, 01:39:37 pm »
hidee all,
I am wanting to paint a hickory bow, and I have a few questions. I have not done anything but sand the belly, the back is sinew do I need to add oil before painting or after? I was planning on using acrylic paint for the job? Thank you!

Offline venisonburger

Re: painting your bow
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 02:21:23 pm »
I don't do anything before painting with acrylic paints, I just clear coat after the paint is dry for a few days.
VB

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 02:54:17 pm »
I've never painted over sinew. On the one sinew bow I painted I put rawhide down and when dry painted over it with acrylic craft paint then sealed with TruOil. Over the sinew you may want to seal it first before painting but it's only a guess.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 04:12:53 pm »
Rawhide is a perfect canvas.
I've used acrylic, right now I'm painting one with India ink; India ink works much better than acrylic for me.
Frank from Germany...

Offline uwe

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 05:28:13 pm »
Hello there,
Painting on sinew is as painting on rawhide. I`ve had top results with earthpigments in hideglue and then painted on the backing.
Will show this next in "Bows".
Regards Uwe

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 11:08:31 pm »
I mixed some prim. pigments with a matte acrylic base and painted directly on the sinew.  Then did a parrafin finish over that.
Traverse City, MI