Author Topic: Hunting the Bamboo Backed Bow  (Read 7879 times)

Offline NTD

Re: Hunting the Bamboo Backed Bow
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2010, 11:23:44 pm »
Well I ordered the DVD..should be here monday.  And StikNString is sending me Hunting the Osage Bow, Thanks Stik!!!!  Thanks for the reviews guys!!
Nate Danforth

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2010, 01:10:17 am »
hey nathen,when you get the dvd let me know what you think...some day i might get it...i would love to get the osage bow one all so BUT i live in oregon and i dont think there is any osage..some day i would love to go back east and get some...but,that is in my dreams...john

Offline NTD

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2010, 01:24:38 am »
Will do John!!  I got my first osage from Tim Ott recently in a trade for a snake skin.  It's in board form, which is perfect for a BBO...It's roughed out and ready to be glued up, just waiting on a power lam.  I don't have a lot of extra money either and try to get most of my Archery stuff through trade, I am lucky though and have some good sources for snake skins without killing them ;)  I'm willing to bet you can find some resource in your region to trade others for all your PA needs ;D 

Nate Danforth

Offline NTD

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2010, 01:24:19 am »
Just finished watching "Hunting the Bamboo Backed Bow"  It's Great!!!! Definitely lots of good info there and I will be revisiting it often for reference.  I have spent twice as much on other instructional DVDs and been less than pleased.  Definitely not the case with this video.  Also his style and sense of humor really makes me want to read his book.
Nate Danforth

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2010, 11:15:34 am »
The video comes with a tillering pamphlet now I believe. Dean added that after requests for more tillering info. His tillering style is basically the same with BBO's or selfbows. Get the book and the DVD and you won't be disappointed.

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2010, 11:52:18 am »
Howdy group,

In that Hunting the Bamboo Backed Bow, is Dean T. talking mostly about backing Osage?  I'm interested in the DVD and book, but only if it talks about backing white woods as well as Osage. 
(Maybe backing white woods with boo is not such a good idea?  I don't know?)

All the Best,
Canoe
"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2010, 11:58:06 am »
Nate, Both of Dean's references are great  but each is specific to the title. Hunting The Osage Bow discussed selfbows from locating the right tree to the finished bow and Hunting the Bamboo Backed Bow is more about all aspects of building bamboo backed bows. Together they make great reference material for wood bow builders.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline NTD

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2010, 05:41:49 pm »
Yep I know that now Pat :)  It was a great DVD, didn't come with the tillering pamphlet though.
Nate Danforth

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2010, 07:13:38 pm »
Nate, that is what we call "trial and error" in the business!  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline NTD

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2010, 11:46:00 pm »
Just received "Hunting the Osage Bow" from StiknString.  Thanks Man, I really appreciate, Have read most of it and what a great read!

Canoe, The DVD covers white woods, He specifically mentions Locust and Hickory.   I'd have to say my favorite part was watching him use different Jigs and plan on borrowing some of his ideas on that..especially the adjustable form. 
Nate Danforth