Author Topic: first day shooting red oak board bow  (Read 4907 times)

Offline Orkraider

first day shooting red oak board bow
« on: March 25, 2010, 07:47:53 am »
Hi all. I said I'd have more pics of my bow when it was done, so here goes.

I've mentioned it before, but just in case, it's 72" long, pulls 70# at 28" draw, 1 1/2" wide and 5/8 thick at the fades, down to 3/8 each way at the tips. It's backed with linen, and another piece of thin fabric with a pattern that was meant to be decorative, but got 90% lost in the finish, lol. Coated with a brush on polyurethane / stain combo. Wrap is black leather from a salvaged purse.

So far, it shoots like a dream. I took it out to the archery range and shot for 3 hours. I'm still learning the whole instinctive shooting thing, but at 15, then 20, then 25 yards, I was managing to get most of my arrows on the paper target (that was a big deal for me, lol). As I was just getting ready to leave for the day, I walked off to 70 yards just for jollys, to see if I could hit the target; I had to "walk" my arrows up to it, but the last one hit just a few inches from center. (I'm claiming luck here, not skill, just to be clear)

I met a very nice couple that day, they were shooting nifty compound bows; I let them try mine, they let me try theirs, and they were kind enough to take pictures of me. They've said that they might be interested in making a bow or 2 themselves.

Here's the pics, and thanks again to all the help on here; I can't wait to get started on my next bow, and I'll be counting on all the advice from y'all to do it. =) Riley, in Saint Paul MN

below: nocking an arrow

below: taking aim

below: the full draw pic
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 07:51:52 am by Orkraider »
Riley, Saint Paul, MN

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: first day shooting red oak board bow
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 07:59:02 am »
Looks good ,glad you got a shooter,be careful letting others shoot you bow,especially compound
folks,or at least let them know what the draw length is,some try and see how far they can pull one back and that could mean disaster for a selfbow. Nice work.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Orkraider

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 09:05:03 am »
Thanks for the heads up, Pappy; It was thanks to here, and prolly a post by you, that I remembered to go over that stuff. ;-)
Riley, Saint Paul, MN

half eye

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 09:05:58 am »
Very Nice !!! That thing looks way to stout for this old man, but looks like youre doing just fine with it. Like Pappy said be carefull letting other people draw it, or at least make sure your arrow length wont allow them to get "stupid" with it.

Now that this one turned out how ya liked it, ya know that "build another one" critter is sneakin up on ya.....again nice job :D
Rich

Offline Orkraider

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 11:40:34 am »
Thanks, Halfeye.

The "build another one" bug has already bitten me in the butt really hard.

My plan for my next bow is to do a pyramid bow.

I want to stick with red oak for this one, as it's cheap and easy for me to get.

My goal is a 72"  bow, with a target weight of 75# at 28".

I want to do the linen backing again, as that seemed to work well the first time.

I'm going to be doing research on here and online to try and figure out what dimensions of wood I'll need for this bow; I don't want to find out again the hard way that I was shooting for too much weight with too narrow a piece of wood.

I also want to avoid the amount of set this one has, which is a heinous 3.5 inches or so.

I'm going through Jawges site with a find toothed comb, but if anyone else has any tips on layout dimensions for my next bow, i'm all ears. (and a bit of gut, if you look at the pics, lol..)

Thanks again, all.

Riley, saint paul MN
Riley, Saint Paul, MN

Offline riarcher

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 11:49:02 am »
70 yards!  ;D

Funny. When I first started (60's) most folks said to shoot over 50 yds right from the beginning.
I still agree with that idea.

That bow looks beautiful! Especially for a first.
From the Stripercoast of Rhode Island

Offline Parnell

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 02:52:26 pm »
That does look great for a first.  Congratulations on your shooter.  No way I would've drawn 70 lbs. when I started!
As far as reducing set, Induce some reflex and heat treat the limbs before, at mid, and toward the end of the tiller.
I wasn't applying near enough heat when I began.  I was shown that you can heat to the point of it being near a char but not quite...
1’—>1’

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 03:44:24 pm »
Nice bow man!  Tiller looks great on it.  Looks like a fun day at the range too.   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Orkraider

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 06:37:53 am »
Thanks very much. =) I'm going out to shoot again today, and I'm excited about that, but all I can think about is my next bow, lol.
Riley, Saint Paul, MN

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 10:38:22 pm »
Very  nice work! Well done. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!