Author Topic: Splitting young white elm  (Read 2428 times)

Cacatch

Splitting young white elm
« on: March 24, 2010, 04:11:22 pm »
I recently cut a very nice straight white elm tree, about 4.25 inches wide down at the base. If I could split it I would theoretically be able to get 2 bows from one half of the log. My question is, would splitting this wood be adviseable? The last thing I want to do is ruin one of them. I would just like to not waste any wood if I could split off the other half and make a bow out of it, instead of making a pile of chips with my draw knife. Would it split straight ya think?

Thanks,
CP

Offline John K

Re: Splitting young white elm
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 04:34:24 pm »
If it was me, i would only try to get one bow out of it. 4 1/4 " at the butt end is not very big. Plus Elm is a devil to split ! but it does make nice bows !!
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 07:11:47 pm »
i dont know why every one thinks elm is so damn hard to split
its easy,well easier than hhb
i would rather split elm all day long over a half day of splitting hhb
but would rather use hhb

i think(in my experience atleast) if you leave elm or hhb sit in log form to dry for a few months
it splits a little straighter and a little easier
but like i said,thats my experience with it
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Cacatch

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 10:05:58 am »
Thanks for the responses guys.

I have split red elm before, after it dried for about a year and like Sailordad said, it was very easy to split, in fact one of the easiest woods I have ever split. I just set the wedge in one of the natural checks (I didn't seal the ends) and it split like a dream. But then this is white elm, which I have made a bow from, but it was from a sapling.

I think I might go back to the tree and try splitting the fattest limbpiece I can find left that didn't make the cut for bows. The tree has only been down a week, and was very much healthy and alive so it's pretty green. I'll let you know how it goes.

CP

Offline John K

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 11:37:35 am »
Cacatch, I agree Red Elm and White Elm are two different animals.....Good luck !
The only way to fail is to never start !

Cacatch

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 12:01:25 pm »
Thanks John.

I cut a small limb off of it too, about 1.75" at the base, tapering to about 1" at the top, 68" long, which I have been whittling down and speed drying as I go. I think it will make a very nice little bow, provided I get the tiller right which will be a little tricky on this particular piece, I think. I tried posting some pictures a while back and didn't have any success. But I may give it another go if this piece turns out, cause it is an interesting little stick and like I said, if I do it right should make a very nice little bow.  White elm is my favorite white wood.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 02:24:15 pm »
Kerfing the log makes it a lot easier to split and with less waste
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Cacatch

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 02:43:08 pm »
Good point, thanks Marc!  If I end up trying to tackle one of the larger logs I'll take the chainsaw and kerf as far in as I can safely go. This weekend I'm going to go after one of those limbs if I can find one big enough. If I remember right I did have to leave some that were too crooked to mess with.

CP