Author Topic: Box for mailing long bow  (Read 3360 times)

Pdwight

Box for mailing long bow
« on: March 24, 2010, 07:51:55 pm »
I looked at the USPS site and could only find a 38 inch triangular tube for shipping , I know my bow originally came in a much longer box....anyone know where to find these ??

Thanks in advance

Dwight

Offline Frode

Re: Box for mailing long bow
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 08:01:08 pm »
You might also consider large heavy cardboard carpet tubes (often free in better dumpsters!).  I've seen those up to 8 feet long.
Frode
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 08:05:10 pm »
Go down to a carpet dealer and they will give you the cardboard tubes the carpet came rolled up on.Cut a wooden block insert for each end,and secure with 3 woodscrews.Pack the bow with bubble wrap or newspaper.It makes a great shipping container that is very strong,and will protect the bow from rough handling. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 08:12:28 pm »
I use thin wall PVC pipe(usually 3") with caps for shipping bows. Grocery bags wadded up make good cheap padding too. I like to use a piece of dense foam(layered cardboard would probably work as well) on each end to protect the tips.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

HatchA

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 08:56:06 pm »
Do USPS have length restrictions on domestic shipping?  My osage stave had to be cut from 72" to 60" for shipping to Ireland  :-\

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 09:21:12 pm »
There's a point past when you have to pay a surcharge if the length plus the circumference add up to some certain number, don't remember what the magic number is, but I've shipped plenty of six-foot long things over the years. For staves, I usually just wrap them up really good in several layers of saran wrap or pallet wrap. Saves money. You can tape two of those triangle 36" priority boxes together to ship long things, but for a bow, I'd go with the PVC or carpet tube.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline woodstick

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 09:32:59 pm »
you can use the triangle box just tape together, it works.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 09:36:49 pm »
Do USPS have length restrictions on domestic shipping?  My osage stave had to be cut from 72" to 60" for shipping to Ireland  :-\

No more than 108 inches in combined length and girth.....so take your length...and add the measurement all the way around it together...if under 108...it will still ship as a Large package...and if you decide not to use PVC..take two of the Priority Mail Triangles...and slip one int the Other....and ship it that way...or got to your Local Stationary Shop...they sell Cardboard Tubes....but I use PVC exclusively.........
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 09:42:24 pm »
I use 3" thin wall when I can find it. Nobody here carries it any more. Glue a cap on one end and a sleeve with a screw in plug on the other. I put my bows in a fleece sock before they go in the tube.  It also makes a great tube for hauling bows in trucks or on 4 wheelers and snow mobiles.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline knightd

• www.primalneedarchery.com
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 12:00:36 am »
I'm not sure if it will fit in a 3" pvc with the R/D that it has in it.. Just put two of the 38" boxes togather.. ;).. If you do want to use the pvc It might fit in a 6" pipe??

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 12:11:36 am »
USPS will send you the triangular boxes for free. Look on their website. I think they come in bundles of 10.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
    • The Kilted Cook Personal Chef
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 12:49:13 am »
Another good "box" for long stuff is the Sono Tube that they use for casting concrete piers and columns.  Comes in a variety of diameters.
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,
The Kilted Cook Personal Chef Service

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 12:53:34 am »
I have gone to the grocery store and the walmart in the early morning when they are cleaning up after stocking the shelves,you can get big boxes already knocked down for free. I used  a couple of th e big paper towel boxes to recently ship a wheel bow(wraped it w/bubble wrap 1st) usps 20.00.
laugh. its good for ya