Author Topic: best item to increase pull weight  (Read 1434 times)

Offline Hopefullbowyer

best item to increase pull weight
« on: March 24, 2010, 01:03:42 am »
Started my second black locust bow first won broke while tillering. Fourth bow over all.  It is through the tillering phase and pulls 12lbs was shooting for around 20 pounds its for my two daughters.  During the rough out phase I removed a little two much width for my d style Indian bow.  Thought I could make it up with thickness but my hand plane took a little to much bite during a pass causing me to take it thinner than I wanted.  So now I need to back the bow and can not remember what will provide the most pull weight.  Any advice is appreciated.

Offline bryan irwin

Re: best item to increase pull weight
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 01:12:58 am »
you could back it with bamboo or hickory that will add pounds to it.
bryan irwin

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 01:15:36 am »
sinew is the only backing you can put on it to actually gain weight at this point if it is a tree stave. If it is a board, you can back with hickory or bamboo to gain weight.  How long is the bow?  if you can safely remove an inch from each limb tip it will gain around 10 lbs.  You don't want to make it any shorter than two times it's intended drawlength for a d bow though. Add a few inches to that formula if you are still a beginner.  Good luck man!   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Hopefullbowyer

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 01:22:33 am »
The bow is 57 inches ntn.  My oldest daughter is about 23 inch draw.  how much would snew or leather add anybody know.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 01:29:44 am »
cut an inch off of each tip. That should give you another 5# or more.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 01:51:16 am »
You will have to pike it several inches to get the weight you are after. I would back it like Brian said. If the back isn't flat, I would flatten it then back it. Actually at that weight, I would let them shoot it while I built another.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah