Author Topic: Snakeskin and TB III  (Read 2508 times)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Snakeskin and TB III
« on: March 23, 2010, 01:10:25 am »
I am putting Copperheads on my osage bow and I sized the back with TiteBond III first to put up a moisture barrier.  I put the glue on  last night and when I checked it tonight the glue was dry to the touch but it dried splotchy white in areas.  I am just wondering if this is going to show up through the skins, they are kinda thin.  If so, I am going to just scrape the glue off and start over without sizing before the skins.  What would you do?  Also, how long after applying the skins over the pre-sized back of the bow do I have to wait to apply the tru oil?  Is 24 hours sufficient? Thanks for the help.   :)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 02:10:06 am by Josh »
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline adb

Re: Snakeskin and TB III
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 01:30:22 am »
When applying SSs, I also use TB3, but I don't do a "sizing" layer first. Apply a thin layer of glue to both surfaces, and away you go. And yes, the color under the skins will make a difference.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 02:09:36 am »
When applying SSs, I also use TB3, but I don't do a "sizing" layer first. Apply a thin layer of glue to both surfaces, and away you go. And yes, the color under the skins will make a difference.

What he said ;D
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 06:56:17 am »
What adb said is how I do it.Except I only put a layer on the limb not on the skin.I just make sure I have the limb completely covered. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 07:43:13 am »
What they said, and I'd keep the bow in the hot box for a few days before sealing it.
If you use hide glue then you need to size the bow first.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Josh

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 11:06:45 am »
thanks guys... I am going to sand some of the whitness of the TB off and glue the skins down.. I just hope the glue doesnt turn that white color underneath the skins after the skins dry...   :o   
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

gutpile

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 03:31:50 pm »
I size bow and apply glue to skins...the whiteness which is more yellowish will give the skins a pop in color....a dark backing will dull the skins and you loose too much of the pop....the color contrast goes way down with a dark backing....especially with copperheads.......gut

Offline Josh

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 10:54:19 am »
I gave it an extra day and the whiteness of the glue went away!  I guess it wasn't fully dry yet because of all the rain we were having.  I am going to glue the skins on tonight.  Thanks for all the help guys.   :)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 11:00:04 am »
I size bow and apply glue to skins...the whiteness which is more yellowish will give the skins a pop in color....a dark backing will dull the skins and you loose too much of the pop....the color contrast goes way down with a dark backing....especially with copperheads.......gut
I actually like a dark background, I think it gives a richer color. This just goes to show that there is no right or wrong, only personal preference.  ;)
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah