Author Topic: new quiver and a couple random questions..  (Read 6256 times)

Offline aero86

new quiver and a couple random questions..
« on: March 22, 2010, 05:08:24 pm »
so i had a tanned deer skin that a guy that hangs around here gave me.  said it came from someone he knew in colorado about 20 years ago!  it has a pouch attached to the bottom and a small nice on the side.  sorry for the crappy picture, just easier to use my phone camera at the moment.  not the best, but i think it came out ok.  not really any certain style, just hangs just right on my shoulder.

now i have two questions. 

1.  what to put in the pouch?  i figured id use it for kinda of a necessaries bag.  i was thinking a lighter and some fishing line and a couple hooks.  what else? 

2.  the gentleman also gave me some various size leather straps that he had in a shed.  they are still in good shape, they are just moldy.  anyway to save them?  or is the trash my only option?  if i made a bath of water and a bit of bleach, would it be ok?  i dont know what bleach will do to leather.  if it just changes the color, fine, but i dont know!
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: new quiver and a couple random questions..
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 06:05:07 pm »
I would put a tube of superglue, some extra field points, a couple of feet of serving thread, a rawhide patch, an extra bowstring, a taper tool, and a lighter in the pouch if it were mine.  That should take care of any problems with your bow/arrows while in the field.  Maybe a small knife if you don't already carry one of those in your pocket.   :)  Seems like I am leaving something out...
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Grunt

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 06:35:12 pm »
Extra bowstring, fire making stuff, a candle, 10' of small diameter strong cord, 2 power bars, large plastic bag, a pair of light vinyl gloves, a whistle and a Swiss Army knife.

Offline aero86

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 06:58:00 pm »
ohh, a swiss army knife.  good one there.  i already have a small in a deer skin sheath there, next to the pouch.  kinda hard to see though.  i think ill just get a good length of artificial sinew i have and see about all that other stuff i can cram in there!
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline sonny

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 07:59:29 pm »
an extra tab, if that's what you shoot with.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline aero86

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 04:48:07 pm »
do you guys think adding another pouch the same size or a bit longer above that one would be too much?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 05:09:07 pm »
If it works for you it's not too much.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline aero86

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 07:48:02 pm »
good one.  i think i will.  i wanna have just enough as necessary.  i probably wont ever need any of the stuff, just piece of mind

Offline stickbender

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 01:35:50 am »

Grunt you took the words out of my mouth, I was going to suggest a Swiss Army knife, but along with the lighter, I would add a magnesium bar.  It will light damp wood, and the sparker on the side of it will also ignite paper, and can be used as a signaling device, and might even scare off nosey critters......I would take about three inches of an old hack saw blade, grind a single bevel on one side, and a chisel edge on the end, to use on the striker, and for shaving off slivers of magnesium, so you don't ruin the edge on your knife.  I agree with the extra bow string, and extra string, and fishing hooks, and line, maybe a small spoon type lure, or spinner, in an Altoids can, with some toilet papper inside, and wrapped around it, and in a small zip lock bag, and like it was already said, a large, heavy duty garbage bag, which could be used as a rain coat, water proofing a lean to, etc.  I would take at least two of them, lots of uses.  Oh, and of course the every survival mans greatest tool, "Duct Tape".  That's where the extra pouch could come in handy, maybe near the top.  Simple quivers, are probably the most useful and convenient.  You don't worry so much about them getting dirty, snagged, stained, etc.

Wayne

Grunt

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 01:09:00 pm »
I always carry 10' of small diameter strong cord. I've got it in my fishing vest, my truck, my beltpac etc. Never know when you might have to tie something or somebody up.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 04:45:31 pm »
I always carry 10' of small diameter strong cord. I've got it in my fishing vest, my truck, my beltpac etc. Never know when you might have to tie something or somebody up.

;D ;D
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2010, 12:21:49 am »
Para cord is good because you can use it as is or remove the outer sheath and have multi strands of strong nylon inside.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline agd68

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 01:56:57 pm »
Soapy water and a bit of bleach is how I clean moldy leather and seems to have no ill effects. Just oil the leather good after it dries.
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 02:24:26 pm »
 Try saddle soap or Murphy's on the leather.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline aero86

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2010, 12:37:18 am »
so far, ive got

swiss army knife
small fixed blade knife
zipties
lighter
dryer lint
a small first aid kit