Author Topic: starting first tri-lam bow  (Read 4730 times)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
starting first tri-lam bow
« on: March 22, 2010, 12:18:31 pm »
I have some bamboo, purpleheart and yellowheart and was thinking of doing a tri-lam. I am going to use the purple heart as a core.  what width would you start at?  I was thinking 1 3/8ths to midlimb tapering to 3/8" tips.  2" glued in reflex 66" NtN.  Will this worK?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline youngbowyer33

Re: starting first tri-lam bow
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 10:22:39 pm »
i have no idea but i think it will look AWESOME with yellowheart and purpleheart! good luck either way
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline Jesse

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 10:38:26 pm »
not sure on the wood combo but I would make sure and taper the center core as well as the belly. If you dont you run the risk of getting too thin on the belly. I would say a good starting thickness would be 1/2" by the fades tapering to 3/16" at the tips. Thats the combination of the two lams before the bamboo is added.  I would make the belly lam the thicker of the 2
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline elk country rp

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 02:47:09 am »
i agree with Jesse- mostly. i'd taper the core from 1/4" at fades to zero at the tips, and keep the belly 1/4" thick throughout. i suspect if you follow my advice you'll end up scraping a bit from the belly, but i almost always mess it up when i pre-taper the belly lam----> safer to do that with a scraper if you ask me....

good luck & can't wait to see the pics,
Rob

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 04:24:56 am »
Tapered center lam (1/8"), parallel belly lam, bamboo worked down to 1/16" on the edges after layout. That will give you enough taper.
Frank from Germany...

Offline Josh

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 11:05:04 am »
cool thanks guys, wish me luck...  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 12:19:24 pm »
I wish you luck!  8) 8) 8)
Frank from Germany...

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 12:21:21 pm »
PS:
What's yellow heart?
R U aware of purple heart being a beautifull but difficult belly wood??
Frank from Germany...

Offline Josh

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 12:33:05 pm »
purple heart is going to be the core.  Yellowhearis going to be the belly.  it is supposed to be pretty good under compression, it looks kinda like Osage to me.  Thanks!  :)

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 12:36:18 pm »
Sounds good.
Actually do you consider a power lam in the handle??
Frank from Germany...

Offline Josh

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 01:04:55 pm »
yeah, I was going to use a thin piece of yellowheart for a power lam.  so from back to belly it's going to be (hopefully if everything goes as planned  :-\ )  Bamboo backing, yellowheart powerlam, a THIN purpleheart core, yellowheart belly slightly thicker through handle,  maple accent strip, and purpleheart handle riser.  If I can pull it off I think it is going to be a really beautiful bow if i can keep it together...  ;D  Oh and i was going to dye the bamboo dark maroon at the nodes fading into orange between the nodes. 

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 04:54:48 pm »
Well it definitely sounds like it will be colorful. good luck and keep us posted.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline Josh

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 05:10:23 pm »
thanks J!  :)  If it survives I am gonna name it "sunset"   :)

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 10:28:43 am »
i would shoot a pm to islandpiper. he lives here close to me and makes pretty nice trilams.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 10:53:21 am »
You are going to be fine. Maybe taper the core from 1/4 at the riser to 1/8 at the tips. I have made this type of bow with no taper in the core and it still worked fine. You have plenty of wood to work with so you are not going to go all the way through the belly wood while tillering.

Frank, Yellowheart is similar to Osage in color when it is fresh cut, but it doesn't get that deep rich color that Osage does.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah