Author Topic: Sagebrush  (Read 1871 times)

Offline bushman

Sagebrush
« on: March 20, 2010, 08:51:11 pm »
Has anyone ever tried to make a bow from sagebrush before? If you have what style of bow was it and how did it turn out? I have seen some sagebrush about 4 inches across at the base and about 3 to 4 feet tall. I know sagebrush is a very tuff wood so I thought that it would make a good bow.
Bushman

Offline billy

Re: Sagebrush
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 01:38:55 am »
I never have....so maybe you should give it a try and see how it turns out!

Marietta, Georgia

Offline Traxx

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 02:35:02 am »
I wouldnt think Sage would get big enough or make good Bow wood.I think you are thinkin of Bitter brush er Buck brush.In either case,i dont believe it would work worth a hoot or Native people would have used it.To my knowledge,they never did.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 03:48:06 am »
Bushman, we have some around here that reaches 6 feet tall and about 8 inch diam bases. I cut some a few years ago thinking the same thing and did end up working with some of the wood. It is incredibly beautiful but is fairly soft and I didn't have much success.

Offline bushman

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 04:56:20 am »
Traxx, I’m talking about sagebrush, Artemisia tridentata. Some I have seen looked big enough to make a bow out of it. I haven’t been able to find out if the Natives made bows out of it or not, all I have been able to found out about it is that they used it to stop internal bleeding and to expel worms.
Keenan, Is the sagebrush that you have fast growing? Because the ones around here are really tough takes a lot of work just to bust a little one in half, really wiry wood.