Author Topic: first bow osage  (Read 3614 times)

Offline cwbuchanan

first bow osage
« on: March 20, 2010, 08:36:35 pm »
               Hello i am Colton i am a new guy here on Primitive Archer. I just finished my first bow and wanted to share my pictures. This is my second attempt at making a bow and have only been at it for a few months. I have been working on the weekends with my friend Jon (straightarrow). I am really enjoying bow building and feel this will be a lifetime obsession. My first attempt was a 70'' hickory, but broke when attempting to flip the tips. Its now fifty six inches and is still a possible shooter. After the break, my second attempt was this osage in the picture below. It is 61 3/4 inch long and is 25# at 28''.  There was a knot that challenged me right off the bat, which caused me to miss my target weight. As you can see the upper limb has alot of character, which was also a tillering challenge. The stave started with four inches of reflex, and the bow ended up with no set. The tips are brazilian  cherry, the grip is dyed buck skin, the rest is leather, and the string is b-50 with beaver balls. The sinew wrap is on there for added protection because of a knot. I have shot it about 100 times and it shoots great. I am making some light spined arrows for it now. Even though it is light in weight i am very proud, and think it is going to be a great bow to help me practice my form. Please feel free to comment.

Thats all for now,

C.W. Buchanan

[attachment deleted by admin]

HatchA

Re: first bow osage
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 08:51:34 pm »
Interesting tiller...  Is there propeller twist in the top limb?

Offline Dauntless

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 08:58:32 pm »
I just about passed out when I saw that first pic.  Then I saw it was a character stave.

Not a lot of guys go for these special pieces on their first tries.  Good job.
The starving grad student with too many hobbies.

Offline cwbuchanan

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 09:17:25 pm »
No there is no propeller twist in the limbs it is just the character of the wood, and thanks for the comment HatchA and Dauntless 

Offline Jesse

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 11:01:01 pm »
you got some courage taking that thing on for a first ;)
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Lombard

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 11:07:39 pm »
Congratulations on your first bow. When I looked at the photos, I could not help but say holy moly. Nobody can say you don't like a challenge.

Offline Aries

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 11:17:14 pm »
That was definately a challenge!! good job! a lot of experience came from making that bow. I hope it stays shooting for you for a long time ;D. Ty
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 12:46:32 am »
I would have taken a heat gun to that woop-de-do in the top limb and removed it before I started making a bow from that stave.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 01:27:25 am »
Truely special, not only for a first bow!!!
Frank from Germany...

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 01:37:37 am »
wow what a challenge for a second bow...   :)  awesome!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline NTD

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 03:12:06 am »
Yep, I'm on about a dozen shooters now and I sure wouldn't have the...ahem... "equipment" to take on a character stave like that!!!  Good job from what I can tell.
Nate Danforth

Offline DanaM

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 08:29:58 am »
Congrats on your first shooter eh :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Aries

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 11:28:26 am »
I would have taken a heat gun to that woop-de-do in the top limb and removed it before I started making a bow from that stave.
And im gonna through a ditto on that one, for reference on your future bows, but still GJ  ;) Ty
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 02:12:28 pm »
Got your challenging bow bookmarked for March self bow of the month fun. Thanks for the interest.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday