Author Topic: Hickory - Heat Treat?  (Read 4959 times)

Offline Et_tu_brute

Hickory - Heat Treat?
« on: March 20, 2010, 04:03:09 pm »
Hi All,

Well I've got a great stave of Hickory for a selfbow, 73" ttt, no pins or knots, pipe straight and 1 3/4" at the fades. I've cut it out on the bandsaw and its ready for the belly to be reduced then to start tillering. I'm after about 70#@30" from this. Would it be a good idea to heat treat the belly on this bow? I was a little worried about it chrysaling and wondered if heat treating would be worth it to try and prevent this.

All and any advice is appreciated!

Dave

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Hickory - Heat Treat?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 05:09:01 pm »
  The bow will only chrysal if you put a hinge in it.  ;D   Hickory is a good candidate for heat treating. At 73" your bow shouldn't get over stressed even at a 30" draw.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Et_tu_brute

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 06:11:11 pm »
Thanks Pat  ;D I suppose I was just getting a bit paranoid about the back, being so strong in tension, overpowering the belly a little.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 07:28:07 pm »
The only way a hickory selfbow back will overpower the belly is if you overpower the belly.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kegan

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 07:29:34 pm »
Like Pat said, you don't need to heat treat it to prevent failure, but it sure does help performance ;)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 08:47:30 pm »
Chrysals are caused when a part of the limb bends  too much. Bad tillering caused hinges. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Et_tu_brute

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 07:10:35 am »
Thanks guys, one last thing, this stave is all sapwood, will this make any difference?

Offline bambule

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 09:30:52 am »
Sapwood is good for Hickory. My Hickory with a heartwood belly was a torture to tiller because that stuff wouldn't bent. Also heat treating the core was a pain because not movement at all - just straight. So sapwood from Hickory is the best you can have.
Niedersachsen, Germany

Offline Et_tu_brute

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 09:57:13 am »
Excellent, thanks for all the help gents :)

Offline sailordad

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 12:03:52 pm »
i agree that hick sap wood makes great bows,however there is nothing wrong with
hick heartwood either.
i have made bows that were both ways,and even two that had both
no problems for me,and i am by far from a great bowyer
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 12:06:45 pm »
Hickory sapwood is all I have ever used for bows.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 01:24:23 pm »
I recently split a hickory log and one of the splits ran thinner than I wanted, but I removed the bark and reduced it to a flat "D" bow design. I then let it dry for a month in my garage and began tillering it. I did not check the poundage, but it was near 35-40#. I recently burned some brush and when the wood burnt down to coals I slowly moved the bow across the coals. The bows belly darkend and took on a nice color. When I went to string the bow it was quickly obvious the bows draw weight had increased and shoots harder. I  suspect it increased to 50#, but has softened some after shooting. Not much scientific stuff here but I do now believe that heating the belly changes the performance, at least in hickory.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes