Author Topic: what type of wood for a short asiatic bow?  (Read 6091 times)

Offline blades7558

what type of wood for a short asiatic bow?
« on: March 18, 2010, 01:04:44 am »
my freind wants me to make a short "horse bow" he calls it, which im assuming he wants a short asiatic style bow i have my eye on a piece of cherry but im not sure if thats a good wood or what length to make it. any suggestions?
build em...break em...sigh....build em....

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
    • The Kilted Cook Personal Chef
Re: what type of wood for a short asiatic bow?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 12:33:10 pm »
It depends on what kind of "horse bow" you're going to make. There are dozens of versions and varieties.  For everything you ever wanted to know about Asiatic bows and archery equipment I would suggest going to:

atarn.net/phpBB2/index.php

and spend some time reading, especially in the "Making Equipment" section. 

For a simple "horse bow", you can make a board bow with glued on rigid "siyah" tips that will look Asiatic, like this one: 

atarn.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1018

Bows made exactly like this were used by the ancient South Chinese.

This guy basically used a $5 bamboo plank, simply glued on the siyahs with TBII and tapered the limbs equally from the handle to the siyah joint. Then he spiral wrapped the joints with real or artificial sinew.  Your cherry would make good looking siyahs on a bamboo plank if each siyah was made from two thinner pieces of wood glued together with the grain at different angles, for strength.

You can get bamboo planks for $5 plus shipping, here:

mastergardenproducts.com/bamboo.planks.htm

I made a bow like the one pictured above, using weak bamboo from a culm I was given by a local furniture store  (hey! it was free!).  Turned out nice, but because the bamboo wasn't thick like the planks above, mine came out only about 25# draw at 28".  You don't sand the rounded outer skin that is the back of the bow, except for two flat spots that you sand at the tips to make a good flat glue joint for the siyahs.  You can thin the flat belly side to adjust tiller (draw weight) as necessary.

A bamboo bow like this is very forgiving for beginning bowyers - being one, I know!

NB.  It's not "primitive" per se, but you can also make this kind of bow using a slat cut from "real" bamboo flooring made from edge glued strips of bamboo (not the veneer over artificial stuff). 

« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 10:12:12 am by Justin Snyder »
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,
The Kilted Cook Personal Chef Service

Offline Aries

"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline blades7558

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 01:34:59 am »
oh wow it looks like i do have alot of researching to do. well thanks for the links to the site that'll be very handy when i do start on it.
build em...break em...sigh....build em....

Offline Lukasz Nawalny

• Lukasz Nawalny
    • Camelot bows
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 10:06:40 am »
For me hickory is best wood on such bows - selfbow asiatic and composite too - here few my asiatic selfbows and composite with hickory core

[attachment deleted by admin]