Author Topic: PLANT ID PLEASE  (Read 2994 times)

Offline Lee Lobbestael

PLANT ID PLEASE
« on: March 17, 2010, 10:10:41 pm »
What kind of plant is this? seems to grow bout five to six feet give or take. pretty stiff and fairly tough. Will it make an arrow? ???
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 10:15:53 pm by Lee Lobbestael »

Offline FlintWalker

Re: PLANT ID PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 10:56:59 pm »
Goldenrod? ???
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 12:09:08 am »
Where do you live? What are it's growing habits? Is it native or exotic?
  Could it be salt cedar?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 12:44:47 am »
I live in michigan, southern

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 02:16:04 am »
Gawd...I hope that Salt Cedar hasn't made it that far North...thats some bad chit........
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 07:14:28 am »
Lee it looks like a goldenrod to me, last years plant . I wouldn't waste my time with it lots of better stuff out there.
BTW I'm a Yooper eh ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 09:04:56 am »
Can't see enough from the pic to say for sure. A couple more pics would help, including a closer view of the seedpods, and a shot of the whole plant. If it's a woody shrub, it's probably meadowsweet or hardhack spiraea, which make pretty good arrows if you can get them seasoned without checking. If it's a herbacous perennial, they generally don't make great arrows. People have made arrows from goldenrod, horseweed, etc. but they are usually lightweight and don't hold up too well. You should have several kinds of  hardwood shoots in your area, like red osier dogwood, silky dogwood, viburnum, privet, bush honetsuckle, hazelnut, and such.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 11:03:43 am »
Thanks guys! Dana I know all about you crazy Yoopers!  ;DMy mom is form Calumet and I have lots of family in Houghton/Hancock area.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 02:03:00 pm »

Dems da Deep Woods Yoopers....Dana is a Shirt Tail Cousin......so to speak.....He.may still be a Yooper... but he can see Trollville from his house......  ;D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 07:35:07 am »

Dems da Deep Woods Yoopers....Dana is a Shirt Tail Cousin......so to speak.....He.may still be a Yooper... but he can see Trollville from his house......  ;D

And El D cam see Mexico from his >:D

My great grandad was born in Calumet, still have family in the Chassell/houghton/Hancock area :)
If you ever come up here Lee give me a holler eh :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 07:44:06 am »
kinda reminds me of evening primrose.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 09:19:32 am »
I,m goin with Jamie on this one, top of plant just doesn,t seem quite right for goldenrod. Need a better picture of top or seed pods area. Just my .02 worth. Bob

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 04:49:47 pm »
Yeah after further examination I scrapped those shoots! They weren't very tough! Sure thing Dana i'm up there most every summer!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2010, 09:11:48 pm »
Yeah after further examination I scrapped those shoots! They weren't very tough! Sure thing Dana i'm up there most every summer!

Lee I'm just off US 2 in Manistique, right behind the State Trooper post :) Let me know and we will hook up :)

Manistique, MI

Offline stickbender

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 01:58:24 am »

Hey der El D, I tink dat would make Dana like a border guard hey? ;D
But I tink he could probably be bribed wit a couple of brats, and pasties, and a six pack, ta let ya across don't cha know?

Wayne