Author Topic: earlywood /latewood raio photos  (Read 5747 times)

Offline yazoo

earlywood /latewood raio photos
« on: March 17, 2010, 12:05:04 pm »
we will start off with  the bad osage,,this first stave I would only use for firewood,,very poor quality wood,,notice in the left corner how there is not any latewood showing,,even in the right side of stave the earlywood overtakes the summer growth,, on a scale of 1 to 10   this is a 1
if you can shoot over them , they ain't to far

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: earlywood /latewood raio photos
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 12:10:31 pm »
Yep,that's the way I see it.Some think that if it's Osage,that all that matters,there is bad Osage just like any other wood,mabe even more. Thanks Mike for this and the other thread also. :)

Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 12:17:31 pm »
i would use it for tool handles and handle risers for laminate bows before I would burn it... All those rings would look good in a non bending application.  :)  :) But I totally agree, not good bow wood.  :)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 12:22:56 pm by Josh »
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline yazoo

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 01:13:13 pm »
some times its just one half of the tree that is bad,,the other side will be great,, I will cut down the biggest tree in the woods for 1 bow,,I know its a little wasteful but all farmers i know want them all cut anyway,,

gutpile

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 03:10:30 pm »
I see a serviceable bow in there on the right side half way down..good ratio there and a nice ring....what does the other end look like...guut

Offline yazoo

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 04:24:24 pm »
now this log is a little better wood,,still some good and some not so good in the same log,, this wood has some nice thick rings,,but the earlywood is a little thick,,  on a scale from 1 to10 I would rate this wood a 5,,,this wood is from tn like to see some rings on staves from other states,, show us what you got,,

Offline bambule

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 04:59:56 pm »
if you build a bow from the inner side of the tree you can build a limb with the use of only one ring - so who cares about earlywood?  ;D
Niedersachsen, Germany

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 05:40:15 pm »
A stave like the wood in your first picture is what I turn into a bamboo backed bow, works just fine, the bamboo is doing most of the work.

Here are a few pics of pretty good wood. Don't know what happened to the tree that supplied the middle sample, good growth then at least 20 very tight rings in the last years of it's life.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 05:46:43 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline yazoo

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 06:01:49 pm »
it almost looks like the tree came under some stress the last few years,,maybe sunlight , water etc..that wood toward the center is what I would call a perfect 10 :o

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 07:16:27 pm »
Here is some Osage that I cut a few days ago in Illinois. I personally don't like wide growth ring Osage. It seems like my bows are more sluggish than on Osage that has 1/4" rings for some reaso.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline yazoo

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 07:54:47 pm »
that is some great looking wood,,there is some very dence osage in illinois,,I am sure just like here in tn the good ones are hard to find

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2010, 12:44:51 pm »
Osage in the Texas Panhandle is like High Altitude Yew...you can't barely distinguish one ring from another...with the Low Moisture and the Heat....these Trees don't put on a 1/4 of an inch of Growth for a whole Year
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Lombard

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2010, 11:19:45 pm »
I heard somewhere that a couple guys at the Tennessee Classic are going to do an experiment on thin rings/ thick rings and test the difference in performance.

Eric, I think, even a ham handed galoot like myself could follow a ring on that center piece.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2010, 11:52:42 pm »
A stave like the wood in your first picture is what I turn into a bamboo backed bow, works just fine, the bamboo is doing most of the work.

Here are a few pics of pretty good wood. Don't know what happened to the tree that supplied the middle sample, good growth then at least 20 very tight rings in the last years of it's life.

Eric, I've noticed that a lot of the osage I cut that has multiple trunks feeding off the same root system have rings like that.  My theory is that while the tree is young and maybe the only trunk...it grows fast.  But after it suckers out and sprouts a few other trunks the growth slows. One root system is still feeding the cluster of trees and the food is spread thinner, making for crappy rings. :-\
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 10:27:34 am »
The thing is even "bad" is osage is still better than most other bow woods..... As long as there's a ring in there thick enough to chase I'll make a bow out of it..... and I would agree that semi thin ringed wood does seem to make the best bows..... seems more dense to me....
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....